Search

Attleborough woman faces her fear to help children with cancer

11:14 07 May 2012

June Taylor, from Attleborough, who has had her hair cut for the first time in nine years to help children with cancer who have lost their hair.

June Taylor, from Attleborough, who has had her hair cut for the first time in nine years to help children with cancer who have lost their hair.

Archant Norfolk Photographic © 2012

A courageous woman has faced her fear and had her long locks trimmed for the first time in nine years in order to help children with cancer who have lost their hair.

June Taylor, from Attleborough, has not had a haircut since 2003 because of a phobia about people touching her head which has come about as a result of an illness which often leaves her head in a lot of pain.

However, she decided to feel the fear and do it anyway when she had her hair cut at Trimmers in the town on Saturday to mark her 40th birthday.

Her locks will go off to the Little Princess Trust, which provides real hair wigs to children suffering hair loss due to cancer treatment, and she hopes to raise about £100 in sponsorship for the Big C cancer charity.

June, of New North Road, said: “I read about the Little Princess Trust and thought it would be great to put my hair to good use, rather than waste it.

“Then a friend said it would be good to do it on my birthday because ‘life begins at 40’, and my new life in short hair will begin at 40.”

To find out more about the Little Princess Trust, visit www.littleprincesses.org.uk or call 0845 094 4509; for the Big C, visit www.big-c.co.uk or call 01603 619900.

1 comment

  • Well Done June, hope you raise lots of money for the Big C & that your locks will make some young princesses very happy :)

    Report this comment

    Chell71

    Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Other news

Yesterday, 17:19
National Grid working in St Nicholas Street
Picture; Anthony Carroll

A gas leak in Diss town centre has lead to a road closure this afternoon.

Yesterday, 15:54
Doctors and nurses at the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital. Photo: James Bass.

A young rugby player was taken to hospital after he suffered a broken leg at a Diss game.

Saturday, January 24, 2015
The new sign that detects motorists using their mobile phone. Photo : Steve Adams

Norfolk and Suffolk Police are starting a joint week-long crackdown on motorists who use phones while at the wheel.

Most Read

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Norfolk police are appealing for help to trace the next of kin of a man who died in Pulham St Mary.

Read more
Saturday, January 24, 2015
The Former Hemsby Pontins Holiday camp.

A second public meeting over plans to redevelop the former Pontins camp will be held at Hemsby Village Hall, Waters Lane, at 6.30pm on Wednesday, January 28.

Read more
Friday, January 23, 2015
Long Stratton
Picture by: Sonya Duncan

Radical plans to shape the future of a south Norfolk village, including proposals for 1,800 new homes and a bypass, are due to be approved next week.

Read more
Saturday, October 18, 2014
Wreckage from B-17 which crashed in holland during WW2 has been returned to the 95th bomb group hospital Museum in Denham. Museum owner Tony Albrow with the pieces.

For the last 70 years, the fate of the B-17G bomber She’s My Gal had been lost in the annals of time after she embarked on her fateful last trip from a north Suffolk airbase during the second world war.

Read more
Wednesday, September 3, 2014
Work start in Eye on the new Care Home being built to replace Paddock House. 

l-r: SCC Project Manager Ian Patterson, Paddock House manager Kym Denny, Care UK Philip Steyn, Cllr Alan Murray (in digger) and Castleoak site manager Martin Pollett.

An eight month wait for the start of building work on a much needed new £6m care home has come to an end.

Read more

Local Weather

Overcast

Overcast

max temp: 5°C

min temp: 6°C

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Diss Mercury e-edition today E-edition