Search

‘He was in so much pain’: neighbours’ frantic efforts to help cannabis factory fire victim

PUBLISHED: 11:41 19 October 2018 | UPDATED: 12:47 19 October 2018

The fire at Cuthbert Maltings on Thursday night. PHOTO: Cemal Adiguzel

The fire at Cuthbert Maltings on Thursday night. PHOTO: Cemal Adiguzel

Archant

A roof fire attended by 23 fire fighters last night was in a cannabis factory, police have revealed.

Firefighters were called to Cuthberts Maltings in Diss after a blaze broke out at a property being used as a cannabis factory. Picture: Chloe GouldingFirefighters were called to Cuthberts Maltings in Diss after a blaze broke out at a property being used as a cannabis factory. Picture: Chloe Goulding

The blaze, attended by Norfolk Fire and Rescue crews from Diss, Earlham, Harleston and Long Stratton, was at Cuthberts Maltings, off Victoria Road in Diss, shortly after 11.20pm on Thursday (October 18).

A police spokesman said on investigation it appeared there had been a cannabis factory on the property.

No arrests have been made but the investigation continues. A man was taken to hospital with injuries.

Jacqui Walker, who lives on Cuthbert Maltings, said: “It was about 11.20pm, we live just a few doors down.

“I could smell smoke and thought someone was having a cigarette as they were walking by, but it got stronger and I could see blue lights coming up Victoria Road.

“I ran downstairs to see what was going on because I could see they were coming here.

“The chap was on the floor outside the house and people were helping him. Luckily one of our neighbours used to be an accident and emergency doctor. It was a good 45 minutes before the ambulance came.”

The mother-of-two added: “I think everybody was quite concerned because it was in an attic space which bedrooms are underneath - they have all got three floors along there. People whose houses are near were worried it was going to come through. It looked like one hell of a fire.

“The chap was in so much pain, it was really hard to watch so much pain. We were doing everything we could, and brought blankets because he was shivering.

“The ambulance service was great when they got here and the fire service were really terrific. They left about 1am.

“I’m absolutely exhausted. It was not the type of thing you expect. It’s everyone’s worst nightmare seeing a fire and finding out someone was in it.”

Related articles

Other news

08:55

Hundreds of households have been left facing days without heating, hot water or being able to cook after damage to a gas mains pipe.

A lorry broken down on the A11 is causing delays for motorists this morning (November 13).

Yesterday, 19:30

A woman who killed an 80-year-old great-grandmother in a head-on car crash has been ordered to carry out unpaid work.

Yesterday, 14:25

Serious safety incidents led to 35 deaths at the region’s mental health trust over a six month period, figures have revealed.

Most Read

Yesterday, 19:30

A woman who killed an 80-year-old great-grandmother in a head-on car crash has been ordered to carry out unpaid work.

Read more
08:55

Hundreds of households have been left facing days without heating, hot water or being able to cook after damage to a gas mains pipe.

Read more
Yesterday, 11:54

It was the war to end all wars in which millions of people died on the battlefields of Europe and further afield. A hundred years on South Norfolk paid its respects to the fallen and marked the armistice.

Read more
St Mary's Church
Friday, November 9, 2018

A Suffolk pervert could be facing jail after uploading sick images of children online under the pseudonym ‘bbyboy’.

Read more
Ipswich Crown Court

A lorry broken down on the A11 is causing delays for motorists this morning (November 13).

Read more
Dereham

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 13°C

min temp: 8°C

Show Job Lists

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Diss Mercury e-edition today
E-edition

Newsletter Sign Up

Diss Mercury weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy