Search

Holidaymakers clog up south Norfolk housing lists

11:20 10 May 2012

Archant

Holidaymakers are clogging up the waiting list for council homes by applying for houses in the hope they may retire to Norfolk, according to a council leader.

South Norfolk Council launched a plan in April to slash the length of its register for social housing, after research showed around 70pc of applicants had little or no need for council homes.

Council leader John Fuller said: “It’s crazy. A proportion of people come on holiday and think they would like to retire to Norfolk.”

The research by consultants KPMG and South Norfolk Council showed just over half of the 4,000 applicants on the register, including one applicant who registered in 1968, had never bid for a council home.

On April 1, the council brought in stricter rules for people applying for council homes, including replacing an online application form, which 80pc of applicants would fill out incorrectly, with an interview by council staff.

Applications now have to be done over the phone or by visiting the council’s offices, while households who find a home are barred from the register for a year and successful applicants are removed from the register if they fail to bid for a home within a year.

Mr Fuller said the changes were being made to give priority to those in the greatest need.

He said the council wanted to end the misconception that if you put your name on the register you would eventually get to the top of the list.

“We need to be honest with people,” he said. “We will house people on the basis of need. Not on the basis of how long they have been listed.”

Mr Fuller said they had come across one case of a woman from south Norfolk who had moved to live with her boyfriend in Great Yarmouth.

Their relationship soon ended, but she could not move back to south Norfolk as she had lost her place on the council’s housing register.

Under the new rules priority will also be given to servicemen and women in south Norfolk.

tom.bristow@archant.co.uk

4 comments

  • It is about time this problem was adressed, I have lived in South Norfolk all my life, Been on the vouncil waiting list for seven years,I live in house too big for me,Iam unable to get a council accommadation. It riles me to see people who are not residents, but as the article say are wanting to retire to this area, Local people should be given preference

    Report this comment

    lucy

    Thursday, May 10, 2012

  • D'oh !!!! local tory boys must be communicating to their head honchos at Westminster via ouija boards.....Dave wants new council tenants to be more mobile if they're on the dole, up roots and move to where the jobs are....simples huh!!!

    Report this comment

    nrg

    Thursday, May 10, 2012

  • If they do not currently reside in the area then either take them off the list or put them at the bottom. Locals first for once.

    Report this comment

    Mr T

    Thursday, May 10, 2012

  • It`s up to our elected leaders to make sure this does not happen, isn`t it?

    Report this comment

    Mad Brewer

    Thursday, May 10, 2012

The views expressed in the above comments do not necessarily reflect the views of this site

Other news

Yesterday, 12:55
Police

Diss residents will have the chance to meet with local police officers next week.

Tue, 12:15
Howard Oates who has written a book about Judo with his son Colin. Pictured here with his grandson Reece who features in the book.

A judo champion has enlisted his martial arts mad south Norfolk family to write a beginners’ guide to the sport.

Sunday, May 24, 2015
The Queen Mary makes a welcome return to the Charles Burrell Museum in Thetford following extensive repair work after her axle broke on the A11 last year.

It was a mishap on the A11 that caused traffic chaos and led to an unusual roadside recovery.

Saturday, May 23, 2015
The new penguin enclosure called Penguin Cove opens at Banham Zoo.

Penguins at Banham Zoo have been happily splashing and waddling their way around their new-look enclosure for the first time in front of delighted visitors.

Most Read

Wednesday, January 14, 2015
Banham Zoo are one of the three tourist attractions around the region which have launched a recruitment drive for seasonal posts. Picture by: Sonya Duncan

Three top family regional attractions have launched a recruitment drive for hundreds of seasonal posts.

Read more
Monday, January 10, 2011
John Howard, of Stoke Ash, near Diss, who was a finalist in a national award for keeping off the seven stone he lost in five months.

A successful slimmer, who has become a diet coach, is celebrating after being named as a finalist for a national award after keeping off the seven stone he lost in five months.

Read more
Tue, 12:15
Howard Oates who has written a book about Judo with his son Colin. Pictured here with his grandson Reece who features in the book.

A judo champion has enlisted his martial arts mad south Norfolk family to write a beginners’ guide to the sport.

Read more
Tuesday, March 4, 2014
The first auction at the new Wymondham Salerooms at Suton.; auctioneer Matt Wilkins; photo by Adrian Judd

The founder of a Norfolk auction house whose business failed after a few months has been ordered to pay nearly £7,000 in unpaid rent.

Read more
Thursday, August 22, 2013
Students open GCSE results at Attleborough High.

Thousands of pupils are collecting their GCSE results this morning; check back here throughout the day to see how your school did.

Read more

Local Weather

Partly Cloudy

Partly Cloudy

max temp: 16°C

min temp: 9°C

Digital Edition

Image
Read the Diss Mercury e-edition today E-edition