May 18 2013 Latest news:
Friday, June 1, 2012
As the 2012 European Football Championships approach, why not try this fun quiz?
1) Who were the inaugural winners of the European Championship in 1960?
2) Whose chipped penalty helped Czechoslovakia to a shoot-out victory over West Germany in the 1976 final?
3) Which city hosted the final of the 1988 European Championship, which featured a spectacular volleyed goal by Holland’s Marco van Basten?
4) Which country did Denmark replace in the 1992 finals in Sweden?
5) Who is the top scorer overall in the finals of the European Championship, with nine in total?
6) Which were the first finals to feature 16 teams, rather than eight?
7) Who netted the winning goal in the final of Euro 2000 which made France continental champions as well as world champions?
8) Name the two teams who featured in the first and last matches of Euro 2004.
9) Who scored the first and last goals at Euro 2008?
10) Which team scored the most goals en route to qualification for Euro 2012, with 37?
1. The Soviet Union
2. Antonin Panenka
5. Michel Platini
6. Euro 96 in England
7. David Trezeguet
8. Greece and Portugal
9. Vaclav Sverkos (Czech Republic) and Fernando Torres (Spain)