6pm update: Network Rail apologies after engineering train derailment causes chaos
- Credit: Archant © 2012
A derailed engineering train has been revealed as the reason for this morning's cancellation of a host train services in and out of Norwich.
The incident caused engineering work to overrun and have a big impact on today's services.
Services are beginning to return to normal with the 1pm train from Norwich to London set to leave on time.
The Greater Anglia services between Norwich and Ipswich and Norwich and Cambridge had been virtually wiped out, and customers have been advised to not travel.
A statement on the firm's website said at the moment it was 'unable to resource any rail replacement coaches', but added that First Capital connect would allow Greater Anglia tickets between Ely and Cambridge.
You may also want to watch:
A Network Rail spokesman said: 'We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused to passengers today. The derailed engineering train is in an upright position and the incident did not damage the infrastructure. Our priority now is to remove the engineering train so that passenger services can resume by this afternoon.'
The full list of cancellations and affected services is:
- 1 New project launched to restore south Norfolk countryside
- 2 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 PlayStation, iPad and pottery classes bought with NHS budget
- 5 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 6 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 7 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
- 8 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 9 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
- 10 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
? Norwich to Liverpool Street - 8am, 9am, 10am, 11am, noon.
? Liverpool Street to Norwich - 9.30am, 10.30am, 11.30am, 12.30pm.
? Norwich to Cambridge - 9.03am, 11.03am, 12.03pm.
? Cambridge to Norwich - 10.48am, 11.52am, 12.52pm.
? The 8.30am Liverpool Street to Norwich will end at Diss.
? The 11am Norwich to Liverpool Street will start at Diss.
? The 10.03am Norwich to Cambridge will start at Wymondham.
? The 8.48am Cambridge to Norwich will end at Wymondham.
Services are expected to be back to normal after 1pm.