Fundraisers brave 34m abseil from church tower
- Credit: Christian Aid
Fundraisers with a head for heights took the plunge to abseil the 34-metre tower of a Norfolk church.
The great tower of St Mary's Church in Redenhall, near Harleston, can be seen for miles looming over the rolling hills of the Waveney valley.
Despite the weather forecast of lightning which threatened the event being postponed, 19 abseilers climbed the tower steps before braving a quicker descent to raise money for Christian Aid and their overseas development work.
Julian Bryant, regional coordinator for Christian Aid, said: "I was so impressed with how brave people were. The Redenhall Church tower is very high and we had people between the ages of 10 and 70 abseiling down. Some people were scared of heights and still did it.
"People came from different places including Harleston, Norwich and even Cambridge. The smiles on the faces of those landing showed what an achievement it was both for them but also for people living in poverty overseas."
You may also want to watch:
Abseiler Catherine Richardson said: "Once I had trusted the rope and knew it was taking my weight I was much happier then to push myself out and down. Once I was off the ledge I actually enjoyed it!"
All those who took part were presented with an achievement certificate as part of the event which will raise over £1,500 with sponsorship money still coming in.
- 1 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 2 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 3 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 4 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 5 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 6 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 7 Unique 'time warp' 1970s farmhouse goes on sale for £795,000
- 8 Norfolk pizza company announces residencies at two more pubs
- 9 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 10 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk