Appeal after cats die from antifreeze poisoning
Two cat owners spoke of their shock today after their beloved pets died from antifreeze poisoning at a Norfolk village.The RSPCA and Natural England are appealing for information after three cats from Carleton Rode, near Diss, suffered kidney failure following the suspected deliberate poisonings.
Two cat owners spoke of their shock today after their beloved pets died from antifreeze poisoning at a Norfolk village.
The RSPCA and Natural England are appealing for information after three cats from Carleton Rode, near Diss, suffered kidney failure following the suspected deliberate poisonings.
Two of the cats, Harry and Kitty, were owned by Melanie Forrer who lives in Flaxlands and the other, named Mr Bojangles, was owned by her neighbour, Emma Callaghan.
Harry and Kitty returned home within three days of each other in January. Harry was rushed to the vets on Thursday January 22, but had advanced renal failure and died shortly afterwards. Kitty came home on the evening of 24 January. He was sick at first, but deteriorated rapidly and died the next day despite a vet battling 12 hours to save him.
Miss Forrer said: 'Although Harry was used to roaming for miles, Kitty didn't know the area and would never venture far away. One of our other cats, Fluffy, also went missing on 8 March so I am desperately worried that he has also been poisoned. '
Mrs Callaghan found her 18-month-old cat when she returned home on Tuesday March 10. Mr Bojangles was twitching and crawling along the floor. A vet came out and found that he was in the advanced stages of kidney failure.
- 1 New Lidl could create 40 'living wage' jobs
- 2 Two crashes in one hour in Pulham Market area
- 3 WATCH: Norfolk MP says PM birthday celebration a 'relatively minor offence'
- 4 Fast-growing audio-visual company snaps up another business
- 5 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 6 The battle of Bressingham... the village torn apart by energy scheme
- 7 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 8 Ever fancied being a real life CSI? Now's your chance!
- 9 Class A and B drug dealer jailed for more than two years
- 10 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
Mrs Callaghan said: 'It was so distressing to see him like that and he was in a huge amount of pain. I find it very sinister to think that someone could be deliberately causing animals so much distress.'
Natural England carried out post mortems on Mr Bojangles and Kitty and believes the poisonings may have been deliberate.
East Team Leader Ed Blane said: 'If there had been an accidental spillage, the deaths would have occurred close together. However, as one cat died weeks after the others, it is very suspicious. This is also a rural area, where there are no usual sources of antifreeze such as mechanics or industrial users.
'Victims can die a slow and agonising death and we urge anyone who suspects poisoning of any domestic or wild animal to contact us immediately to help put an end to such a dangerous and damaging practice.'
Those found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to animals could face a maximum six-month prison sentence and/or a �20,000 fine.
Anyone with information is asked to contact the RSPCA on 0300 1234 999 and ask to leave a message for inspector Caroline O'Riordan. Suspected poisonings should also be reported to the Natural England on 0800 321 600.