CCTV footage captures ‘sickening’ attack on man outside his home
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
The victim of a 'sickening' attack which was caught on CCTV is appealing for the Good Samaritan who helped him as he lay stricken and injured.
Paul Haley, 74, of Top Road in Wingfield was badly beaten outside his home in November which left him unable to get off the ground and with hundreds of pounds worth of dental fees.
After calling for help and attempting to flag down several vehicles, a lady came to his aid and phoned the emergency services.
'She was on her way to work,' said Mr Haley, 'and stayed with me until the police and ambulance arrived even though she had to be somewhere.
'She was a real Good Samaritan and I would really like to be able to thank her.'
You may also want to watch:
Robert Carpenter, who installed a CCTV system for Mr Haley several years ago, described the attack as 'quite sickening and upsetting to watch'.
He added: 'I've known Paul for a little while and it isn't fair what happened to him as the guy has basically gotten away with it.'
- 1 Village road to shut all day for essential work
- 2 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 3 Town reveals plans for post-lockdown celebration
- 4 Radio station reveals plans to open 'game changing' second studio
- 5 Calls for ban on development around town's beauty spot
- 6 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 7 Locusts, vinegar cake and crocodile: 6 weird dishes served in Norfolk
- 8 Call for caution as restrictions eased amid backdrop of 'perilous' variant
- 9 American serviceman's legacy remembered through new war-inspired nose art
- 10 Bomber squadron museum release unseen war era photos
Shortly before 8am on November 28 last year, Mr Haley was attacked by Carel Jan Nab, 45, who pleaded guilty to assault by beating at a hearing in Great Yarmouth Magistrates' Court on January 10.
He was fined £100 and ordered to pay a £30 victim surcharge and £85 in court costs.
Following the assault, Mr Haley, who lives alone after his wife died in 1995, was forced to pay hundreds of pounds to cover dental work and was left unable to sleep.
He underwent a knee operation three years ago and the attack has left him with a lot of pain and discomfort.
He said: 'I get very emotional talking about it. I found it difficult to sleep because I was in so much pain.
'I would like to meet the girl who stopped to help me and she was ever so good.
'But the day is such a haze so I don't remember her name or anything else about her.'
Are you the good Samaritan who helped Mr Haley last year? Get in touch on 01379 650249.