Attleborough hall gets revamp
Stephanie BrooksA popular hall which has hosted events for Attleborough's tots, teens, parents and pensioners for generations has marked the completion of the first phase of a refurbishment project.Stephanie Brooks
A POPULAR hall which has hosted events for Attleborough's tots, teens, parents and pensioners for generations has marked the completion of the first phase of a refurbishment project.
The town's mayor Geoff Farrow and deputy mayor Karen Pettitt performed the official opening ceremony at the Connaught Hall on Monday evening.
Thanks to funding from the Breckland Partnership, the hall's bosses were able to buy new chairs, sofas and coffee tables as part of a scheme to revamp the building's interior.
Supporters, backed by the Board of Trustees, were successful in their bid for �1,389 from the partnership's Participatory Budgeting initiative and also received �350 from Pride in Breckland.
You may also want to watch:
Spurred on by their success, they are now close to raising a further �2,000 towards phase two of the hall refurbishment, which opened in the 1960s, including the redecoration of the lounge, new flooring and lighting.
Fundraising activities so far have included craft fairs, pamper evenings and band nights.
- 1 'Absolutely wonderful' - Organiser's delight at Old Buckenham Airshow success
- 2 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 3 UEA expert: Covid isolation 'will still be needed in a year's time'
- 4 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 When are GCSE and A-level results out and how fair will grades be?
- 7 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 8 Norfolk conservation groups get £1.5m boost from Green Recovery Fund
- 9 Opinion: Simple planning could help save money on Inheritance Tax
- 10 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
Adrian Stasiak, Breckland Council executive member for communities and benefits, said: 'The Participatory Budgeting scheme enables local people to decide which projects meet local priorities and determine where funds should be spent.
'I'm delighted that Connaught Hall supporters have really grasped this opportunity and gone on to raise more additional funds.
'The refurbishment will improve the appearance and atmosphere in the hall, helping increase bookings and safeguarding the future of the hall.'
Peter Thatcher, chairman of the trustees, said: 'Being awarded the grant from the Breckland Partnership really gave us a great start and has led to the great fundraising efforts.
'I would like to thank the people of Attleborough and surrounding villages as none of the fundraising efforts would have been so successful without their support.'
To help with the fundraising for the hall, call Peter Thatcher or Karen Pettitt on 01953 452523.