Barron Knights announce Diss gig
Comedy band The Barron Knights will be returning to Diss for the first time in almost 50 years as the headline act at the town's music festival. They had yet to find fame when they appeared at a local dance at the start of their long career, in the early 1960s.
Comedy band The Barron Knights will be returning to Diss for the first time in almost 50 years as the headline act at the town's music festival.
They had yet to find fame when they appeared at a local dance at the start of their long career, in the early 1960s. And the band's founder, Pete Langford, recalled girls 'dancing around handbags' as they belted out numbers during the gig.
'We haven't been to Diss since the early '60s, before we had hit records. It will be lovely to be back and we are looking forward to it very much. It's been such a long time, and it's in a local area where we learned our apprenticeship.
'We do Cromer every year and Hunstanton in August.'
The Diss Music Festival starts with a Live N Gigging event at the park pavilion at 1pm on Saturday July 18, followed by a film how of the movie Grease at 7.30pm in the Corn Hall.
Other attractions include a music and magic show, and music hall songs and illustrated talk on July 20; Latin American dance evening, and folk country night on July 21, a children's music workshop on July 22, and a local talent night on July 24.
- 1 New crafting event coming to East Anglia this summer
- 2 Man in court over hundreds of indecent images of children
- 3 Overcrowding fears sees council oppose town's affordable housing plans
- 4 Church school becomes latest to join growing academy trust
- 5 50-mile diversion in place as A140 set to close to repair damaged road
- 6 Fresh plans for controversial waste plant revealed
- 7 Train evacuated after hitting horse on Norwich to Diss line
- 8 Contact tracing scammers return as Covid rates rise
- 9 Threat of more rail disruption as Greater Anglia workers are to be balloted for strikes
- 10 Man charged with burglaries, dangerous driving and assault
The Barron Knights are appearing at 7.30pm on Saturday, July 25 at the Corn Hall.
Tickets and information about the music festival events can be obtained from Diss Tourist Information Centre at Mere's Mouth, telephone 01379 650523. Details are also available from Diss Town Council offices in Market Hill, on 01379 643848, or visit the town council website at:www.diss.gov.uk