Boost for airfield
Officials at a south Norfolk airfield spoke of their delight after landing a prestigious international event.The International Vintage Glider Rally has only been held on three occasions in the UK in its almost 40 year history.
Officials at a south Norfolk airfield spoke of their delight after landing a prestigious international event.
The International Vintage Glider Rally has only been held on three occasions in the UK in its almost 40 year history.
But officials from the Norfolk Gliding Club confirmed on Monday that the 38th annual event will be staged at their Tibenham airfield, near Diss, at a date to be fixed in 2010.
It comes after the former second world war airbase hosted the rally in 2000 when it attracted more than 100 vintage gliders - some almost 70 years old - and 300 participants.
You may also want to watch:
Graham Ashworth, chairman of the Norfolk Gliding Club, said: 'We are very proud of being chosen to host the International Vintage Rally in 2010. It is a big boost for the club and reflects the hard work that our club members put into to make it a successful and professional operation.'
The club, which celebrates its 50th anniversary this year, is set to hold a vintage glider, tractor and classic car event from dawn to dusk on June 21.
- 1 'Power of the high vis jacket' - Out with town's Covid watchdogs
- 2 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 3 Warnings for snow and ice in place across region
- 4 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 5 Inspectors praise Norfolk firefighters for help during Covid surge
- 6 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 7 Every Child Online - New campaign to get laptops and devices to children
- 8 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 9 Tree falls on rail line as winds up to 69mph hit Norfolk
- 10 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes