Boost for airfield
Officials at a south Norfolk airfield spoke of their delight after landing a prestigious international event.The International Vintage Glider Rally has only been held on three occasions in the UK in its almost 40 year history.
Officials at a south Norfolk airfield spoke of their delight after landing a prestigious international event.
The International Vintage Glider Rally has only been held on three occasions in the UK in its almost 40 year history.
But officials from the Norfolk Gliding Club confirmed on Monday that the 38th annual event will be staged at their Tibenham airfield, near Diss, at a date to be fixed in 2010.
It comes after the former second world war airbase hosted the rally in 2000 when it attracted more than 100 vintage gliders - some almost 70 years old - and 300 participants.
You may also want to watch:
Graham Ashworth, chairman of the Norfolk Gliding Club, said: 'We are very proud of being chosen to host the International Vintage Rally in 2010. It is a big boost for the club and reflects the hard work that our club members put into to make it a successful and professional operation.'
The club, which celebrates its 50th anniversary this year, is set to hold a vintage glider, tractor and classic car event from dawn to dusk on June 21.
- 1 New project launched to restore south Norfolk countryside
- 2 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 5 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
- 6 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 8 9 of the best places to see fireworks in Norfolk in 2021
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan