Boost for airfield
Officials at a south Norfolk airfield spoke of their delight after landing a prestigious international event.The International Vintage Glider Rally has only been held on three occasions in the UK in its almost 40 year history.
Officials at a south Norfolk airfield spoke of their delight after landing a prestigious international event.
The International Vintage Glider Rally has only been held on three occasions in the UK in its almost 40 year history.
But officials from the Norfolk Gliding Club confirmed on Monday that the 38th annual event will be staged at their Tibenham airfield, near Diss, at a date to be fixed in 2010.
It comes after the former second world war airbase hosted the rally in 2000 when it attracted more than 100 vintage gliders - some almost 70 years old - and 300 participants.
Graham Ashworth, chairman of the Norfolk Gliding Club, said: 'We are very proud of being chosen to host the International Vintage Rally in 2010. It is a big boost for the club and reflects the hard work that our club members put into to make it a successful and professional operation.'
The club, which celebrates its 50th anniversary this year, is set to hold a vintage glider, tractor and classic car event from dawn to dusk on June 21.
- 1 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 2 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 3 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 4 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 5 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 6 Obituary: 'Empathetic' social worker who cared for others her entire life
- 7 Café completely sells out on first week of launching Sunday roasts
- 8 Opinion: Creativity is required as prices rise
- 9 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 10 100 East Anglian events you cannot miss this summer