Boost for airfield
Officials at a south Norfolk airfield spoke of their delight after landing a prestigious international event.The International Vintage Glider Rally has only been held on three occasions in the UK in its almost 40 year history.
Officials at a south Norfolk airfield spoke of their delight after landing a prestigious international event.
The International Vintage Glider Rally has only been held on three occasions in the UK in its almost 40 year history.
But officials from the Norfolk Gliding Club confirmed on Monday that the 38th annual event will be staged at their Tibenham airfield, near Diss, at a date to be fixed in 2010.
It comes after the former second world war airbase hosted the rally in 2000 when it attracted more than 100 vintage gliders - some almost 70 years old - and 300 participants.
You may also want to watch:
Graham Ashworth, chairman of the Norfolk Gliding Club, said: 'We are very proud of being chosen to host the International Vintage Rally in 2010. It is a big boost for the club and reflects the hard work that our club members put into to make it a successful and professional operation.'
The club, which celebrates its 50th anniversary this year, is set to hold a vintage glider, tractor and classic car event from dawn to dusk on June 21.
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 3 Ron and Norma share their secret to 60 years of marriage
- 4 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 5 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 6 Parkruns return to Norfolk for first time since Covid
- 7 Tributes paid to farmer and WW2 museum curator
- 8 Hunt for man who chased girl and pulled knife on teenage boys
- 9 Mysterious boarded up cottage for sale for £200,000
- 10 'It seems to be a new normal' - 'Pingdemic' forces barbers to close