Boost for Dickleburgh Sea Scouts
A landlocked sea scout group in south Norfolk has received a boost after raising almost �16,000 to buy two new Wayfarer sailing dinghies.The Dickleburgh Sea Scouts will soon receive the new additions to its training fleet following a �7,900 grant from the Broads Authority.
A landlocked sea scout group in south Norfolk has received a boost after raising almost �16,000 to buy two new Wayfarer sailing dinghies.
The Dickleburgh Sea Scouts will soon receive the new additions to its training fleet following a �7,900 grant from the Broads Authority.
The funding boost comes after the group's 80 youngsters received match funding from Norfolk Community Foundation, the Leslie Sell Foundation, Townland Trust in Dickleburgh, and Tivetshall Parish Council and raised �750 themselves.
The pristine glass fibre boats will replace two ageing dinghies, which will be used on an inland lake near Harleston and at summer camps on the River Yare at Langley Dyke.
Group Scout Leader Paul Playford said: 'We are very grateful to the Broads Authority and the Trusts for funding these boats. Wayfarers are ideal training boats, a proven class which is fairly large and stable.
'Not only will they enable us to teach a lot more children to sail but good facilities and craft tend to attract more instructors and leaders into the group.'
- 1 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 2 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 3 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 4 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 5 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 6 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 7 Norfolk MP's concern over new line of pylons
- 8 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 9 'Metal monstrosities' - Opposition to new East Anglia power line grows
- 10 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?