Boost for Diss TIC opening hours
A council-run tourist information centre in south Norfolk is set to return to a six day a week operation during the holiday season.Civic leaders spoke of their disappointment last year after South Norfolk Council decided to close the Diss TIC every Tuesday following a reduction in staff numbers.
A council-run tourist information centre in south Norfolk is set to return to a six day a week operation during the holiday season.
Civic leaders spoke of their disappointment last year after South Norfolk Council decided to close the Diss TIC every Tuesday following a reduction in staff numbers.
But members of South Norfolk Council's scrutiny committee have recommended that the centre should be open for six days a week from April to October.
The U-turn follows a review by an independent consultant, which urged the district council to reinstate TIC Tuesday openings during the busy tourist season.
Councillors had discussed the matter behind closed doors because of the detailed financial information involved, but later revealed they were recommending that the centre is open on Tuesdays for 27 weeks of the year.
Martin Rickard, consultant for Performance Plus Partnership, had found that the Diss TIC had received almost 55,000 inquiries last year and generated almost �30,000. He also found that Tuesdays produced the highest total of daily sales until the decision was taken to reduce opening hours in July.
- 1 Two vehicle crash on the A140 blocks traffic on major Suffolk route
- 2 Woman in hospital with life-threatening injuries after serious A143 crash
- 3 Why Russian diesel is still on sale in Norfolk
- 4 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 5 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 6 Obituary: 'Empathetic' social worker who cared for others her entire life
- 7 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 8 Three Suffolk pubs join forces for Jubilee weekend beer festival
- 9 Café completely sells out on first week of launching Sunday roasts
- 10 Country park to host jubilee picnic with street food, Pimm's and cream teas
'In view of the sales and inquiries available on Tuesdays, serious consideration should be given to reinstating opening the centre on Tuesdays from April to October - the busiest part of the tourist year. This would demonstrate South Norfolk Council support for the local economy in these difficult trading times,' he said.
The facility is the only TIC in south Norfolk that is entirely run by the district council.