Boost for Diss TIC opening hours
A council-run tourist information centre in south Norfolk is set to return to a six day a week operation during the holiday season.Civic leaders spoke of their disappointment last year after South Norfolk Council decided to close the Diss TIC every Tuesday following a reduction in staff numbers.
A council-run tourist information centre in south Norfolk is set to return to a six day a week operation during the holiday season.
Civic leaders spoke of their disappointment last year after South Norfolk Council decided to close the Diss TIC every Tuesday following a reduction in staff numbers.
But members of South Norfolk Council's scrutiny committee have recommended that the centre should be open for six days a week from April to October.
The U-turn follows a review by an independent consultant, which urged the district council to reinstate TIC Tuesday openings during the busy tourist season.
You may also want to watch:
Councillors had discussed the matter behind closed doors because of the detailed financial information involved, but later revealed they were recommending that the centre is open on Tuesdays for 27 weeks of the year.
Martin Rickard, consultant for Performance Plus Partnership, had found that the Diss TIC had received almost 55,000 inquiries last year and generated almost �30,000. He also found that Tuesdays produced the highest total of daily sales until the decision was taken to reduce opening hours in July.
- 1 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 2 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 3 'Power of the high vis jacket' - Out with town's Covid watchdogs
- 4 Fresh snow falls as weather warning continues for Norfolk and Suffolk
- 5 5 tips from Norwich expert to keep your car in peak condition in lockdown
- 6 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 7 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 8 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 9 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 10 Number of coronavirus deaths passes 1,000 at Norfolk's hospitals
'In view of the sales and inquiries available on Tuesdays, serious consideration should be given to reinstating opening the centre on Tuesdays from April to October - the busiest part of the tourist year. This would demonstrate South Norfolk Council support for the local economy in these difficult trading times,' he said.
The facility is the only TIC in south Norfolk that is entirely run by the district council.