Boost for specialist school bid
A school's bid to become a specialist sports college has got off to a positive start.Old Buckenham High School needs to raise �50,000 to unlock more than �100,000 in government funding to achieve a specialist sports status.
A school's bid to become a specialist sports college has got off to a positive start.
Old Buckenham High School needs to raise �50,000 to unlock more than �100,000 in government funding to achieve a specialist sports status.
The school has so far collected �6,720 since it launched its fundraising campaign in February but continues to appeal for support.
Lorraine Collins, the school's business manager, said: 'We've still got an awful long way to go so we're appealing to anyone who can help us. But it's a positive start with the climate we're in.'
The current total has been raised through cash donations from local businesses as well as through a scheme where companies can give the school equipment, such as computer software, and the monetary value of the items is added to the fundraising kitty.
If they gain the specialist status, staff want to invest the funding in sporting facilities although exactly what they will be is still to be decided.
- 1 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 2 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
- 3 Road cleared after severe delays in Diss following vehicle breakdown
- 4 Street food, live music and fireworks planned for Diss Jubilee celebrations
- 5 Tomorrow's lunar eclipse: How and when to see it
- 6 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 7 Rare 19th century painting discovered in Norfolk home could fetch £50k
- 8 Man admits arsons which killed 50 pigs and caused £680k of damage
- 9 New vintage gift and homeware shop opens in historic building
- 10 The 4 most wanted men in Norfolk
Anyone wishing to get behind the bid can contact Lorraine Collins on 01953 860233.