Boost for specialist school bid
A school's bid to become a specialist sports college has got off to a positive start.Old Buckenham High School needs to raise �50,000 to unlock more than �100,000 in government funding to achieve a specialist sports status.
A school's bid to become a specialist sports college has got off to a positive start.
Old Buckenham High School needs to raise �50,000 to unlock more than �100,000 in government funding to achieve a specialist sports status.
The school has so far collected �6,720 since it launched its fundraising campaign in February but continues to appeal for support.
Lorraine Collins, the school's business manager, said: 'We've still got an awful long way to go so we're appealing to anyone who can help us. But it's a positive start with the climate we're in.'
You may also want to watch:
The current total has been raised through cash donations from local businesses as well as through a scheme where companies can give the school equipment, such as computer software, and the monetary value of the items is added to the fundraising kitty.
If they gain the specialist status, staff want to invest the funding in sporting facilities although exactly what they will be is still to be decided.
- 1 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 2 Diss war hero reaches final 10 in Brave Briton Awards
- 3 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 4 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
- 5 All you need to know ahead of the Old Buckenham Airshow 2021
- 6 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 7 New Covid variants may require jabs for children, UEA experts warn
- 8 Last chance to recognise our social care heroes at the Norfolk Care Awards 2021
- 9 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 10 Ron and Norma share their secret to 60 years of marriage
Anyone wishing to get behind the bid can contact Lorraine Collins on 01953 860233.