Burglar who crashed stolen car in a ditch jailed for three years
- Credit: Archant
A burglar who crashed a car after stealing it during a break-in at a house Diss has been jailed for three years.
The owner of the Ford Fiesta only realised the vehicle and its keys had been stolen when police officers knocked at his door in the early hours of the morning to say it had been found in a ditch 12 miles away in Hepworth, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
Before the court on Thursday was Iain Dunn, 37, of Hutton Court, Eye, who admitted burglary at a house in Willbye Avenue, Diss, between August 21 and August 22 and stealing the keys to a Ford Fiesta.
He also admitted aggravated vehicle taking, driving without insurance, driving while disqualified and failing to provide a specimen.
He was jailed for three years and banned from driving for 42 months.
You may also want to watch:
Claire Matthews for Dunn said her client had been injured when he crashed the car and he was glad no one else was hurt.
She said Dunn was a long term drug user and had mixed sleeping tablets with alcohol before committing the burglary. 'He has no memory of the offences at all,' said Miss Matthews.
- 1 New project launched to restore south Norfolk countryside
- 2 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 3 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 4 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 5 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
- 6 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 8 9 of the best places to see fireworks in Norfolk in 2021
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan