Burglar who crashed stolen car in a ditch jailed for three years
- Credit: Archant
A burglar who crashed a car after stealing it during a break-in at a house Diss has been jailed for three years.
The owner of the Ford Fiesta only realised the vehicle and its keys had been stolen when police officers knocked at his door in the early hours of the morning to say it had been found in a ditch 12 miles away in Hepworth, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
Before the court on Thursday was Iain Dunn, 37, of Hutton Court, Eye, who admitted burglary at a house in Willbye Avenue, Diss, between August 21 and August 22 and stealing the keys to a Ford Fiesta.
He also admitted aggravated vehicle taking, driving without insurance, driving while disqualified and failing to provide a specimen.
He was jailed for three years and banned from driving for 42 months.
You may also want to watch:
Claire Matthews for Dunn said her client had been injured when he crashed the car and he was glad no one else was hurt.
She said Dunn was a long term drug user and had mixed sleeping tablets with alcohol before committing the burglary. 'He has no memory of the offences at all,' said Miss Matthews.
- 1 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 2 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 3 Ron and Norma share their secret to 60 years of marriage
- 4 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 5 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 6 Parkruns return to Norfolk for first time since Covid
- 7 Tributes paid to farmer and WW2 museum curator
- 8 Hunt for man who chased girl and pulled knife on teenage boys
- 9 Mysterious boarded up cottage for sale for £200,000
- 10 'It seems to be a new normal' - 'Pingdemic' forces barbers to close