Burglar who crashed stolen car in a ditch jailed for three years
- Credit: Archant
A burglar who crashed a car after stealing it during a break-in at a house Diss has been jailed for three years.
The owner of the Ford Fiesta only realised the vehicle and its keys had been stolen when police officers knocked at his door in the early hours of the morning to say it had been found in a ditch 12 miles away in Hepworth, Ipswich Crown Court heard.
Before the court on Thursday was Iain Dunn, 37, of Hutton Court, Eye, who admitted burglary at a house in Willbye Avenue, Diss, between August 21 and August 22 and stealing the keys to a Ford Fiesta.
He also admitted aggravated vehicle taking, driving without insurance, driving while disqualified and failing to provide a specimen.
He was jailed for three years and banned from driving for 42 months.
You may also want to watch:
Claire Matthews for Dunn said her client had been injured when he crashed the car and he was glad no one else was hurt.
She said Dunn was a long term drug user and had mixed sleeping tablets with alcohol before committing the burglary. 'He has no memory of the offences at all,' said Miss Matthews.
- 1 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
- 2 Victorian rectory in 5.5 acres for sale for £1.35m
- 3 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 4 Mapped: How will the electoral changes impact you?
- 5 Airborne enemies to meet once more at summer airshow
- 6 Search for Norfolk neighbours to take on Suffolk in food waste fight
- 7 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: County council election results
- 8 Six things to see when Norfolk's museums reopen on May 17
- 9 Lockdown to be eased: what else can I do from May 17?
- 10 18 people miss Covid vaccines after centre opens late