Bikers roar into quiet Norfolk village for charity gathering
- Credit: Simon Parkin
The throaty roar of motorbikes again roared through the countryside to attend a charity gathering in a normally quiet South Norfolk village.
Bikers from across the region and further afield descended on Burtson, near Diss, for the third Beers, Bikes and Bands event on Sunday (May 5).
Heavy metal machinery from classic British Triumph and Norton to Harley Davidson and all bikes of all shapesd and sizes including choppers and trikes were on display at the Burston Crown pub, which once again hosted the rally.
The event attracted more than 500 bikes and 1,600 people. The Best Bike was judged to be John Ranson's Suzuki, while the winner of the Landladies choice was the Norton of Pip Gimmer.
The charity auction overseen by star auctioneer Adam Stokes, with lots including tickets to the superbikes at Snetterton, saw brisk bidding. All funds go to local mental health support work for young people from Diss and the surrounding area.
You may also want to watch:
The event raised a grand total of £10,501 for Nature and Nurture the locally based organisation helping young children through life challenges.
Organiser Lou Hines said: "It's another fantastic turn out. We have seen people come from France, Brighton, Cambridge and London so word is really getting out there."
- 1 Fresh calls for Norfolk to move to tier one ahead of key Commons vote
- 2 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 3 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140
- 4 16th century village house with potential to develop is for sale for £575,000
- 5 'Raring to go' - Businesses ready to reopen in time for Christmas rush
- 6 Care home's visitor pod helps residents stay connected with loved ones
- 7 Care provider to appeal decision which saw plans to extend care home rejected
- 8 Norfolk in Tier 2 of coronavirus restrictions, government confirms
- 9 How will Christmas grottos, nativities and carol singing go ahead?
- 10 Car carrying five people crashes into ditch
"I am overwhelmed with the generosity of the people who gave their time, their money and their support in helping us raise this enormous amount of money for a cause so close to my heart."