Caring Bunwell pupils’ fund-raiser for endangered animals
- Credit: Archant
Primary school pupils from Bunwell concerned about the life of endangered animals they had learned about during their schoolwork took it upon themselves to organise a fund-raising event in aid of the creatures.
Cullum Harvey, 6, found a picture of an echidna while researching about hedgehogs as part of his nocturnal animals topic in class.
He and fellow Bunwell Primary School pupils Ellie Sinclair, 7, and Emily Kerridge, 7, decided to do more research into the animals.
However they were concerned when they discovered echidnas are sometimes hunted for their spikes.
'It made them wonder what they could do to help,' said their class-two teacher, Claire Newport.
As a result the youngsters organised a fun-run, tombola, cake and biscuit sale and a football shoot-out with their help of their parents to raise vital funds to help the echidnas.
The £90.78 they managed to raise from the event will be donated to the World Wildlife Fund.
- 1 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 4 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 5 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan
- 6 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 7 Norfolk MP's concern over new line of pylons
- 8 Electric aircraft to take to the skies over Norfolk
- 9 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 10 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
Miss Newport said: 'I am extremely proud of them all.
'They are very caring children, and it was wonderful to see how inspired they were to do something to help.
'They did a great job of promoting their event too.
'Thank you to everyone who attended, and to the parents who helped in making this so successful.'
Are you organising a fund-raising event?
Tell the Mercury by calling 01379 651153 or email firstname.lastname@example.org