Charity looks for volunteers
A local charity is looking for volunteers to befriend parents with young children. Home-Start Breckland and South Norfolk is a voluntary organisation offering friendship and support to families with children under five years of age.
A local charity is looking for volunteers to befriend parents with young children.
Home-Start Breckland and South Norfolk is a voluntary organisation offering friendship and support to families with children under five years of age. And it is looking to extend its service to those in the Diss, Harleston, Loddon and Long Stratton areas.
The volunteers, who must be parents themselves, visit families in their own homes and provide emotional and practical support. The service is available to all families, but is particularly useful to mothers experiencing loneliness, post-natal depression or multiple births.
Potential volunteers need to be able to spare at least two hours a week on a regular basis and, although the work is unpaid, travel expenses will be met.
You may also want to watch:
Emma Stitson, coordinator of Home-Start Breckland and South Norfolk said: 'Home-Start volunteers are from all walks of life but what they do share is a willingness to help other parents at a difficult time. A little help at the right time can make a big difference to families' lives. It will certainly change the volunteers', many say they enjoy meeting and making new friends.'
A free preparation course for new volunteers is starting in March in the local area. Once volunteers have completed the course they are carefully matched to a family. Some families may only need visits for a few weeks while others may benefit from ongoing support.
- 1 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 2 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 3 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 4 Truck stopped for 'unsecure load' during road check
- 5 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 6 Appeal to find 27-year-old wanted on recall to prison
- 7 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 8 Town's long wait for new £37m bypass nearly over as funding agreed
- 9 'It's killing me': Abuse victim moved into flat with asbestos and mould
- 10 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
For more information on becoming a volunteer call 01842 765206 or email firstname.lastname@example.org