Twenty fire crews called to thatched roof blaze in Suffolk village
- Credit: Charlotte Bond
Twenty fire crews have been called to a major fire at a thatched building this morning.
Suffolk Fire and Rescue were called to Church Lane, Thwaite shortly after 7.30am.
A spokesman for Suffolk fire and rescue said that the force was attending a two-storey thatched property and were using breathing apparatus and ladders to deal with the fire.
Crews from across Suffolk and a few appliances from over the border in Norfolk have been called to the scene.
David Briggs, who was born in the cottage but now lives next door, said it was sad to see the house he "treasures" in flames.
Mr Briggs said: "My wife looked out of the conservatory window and said to me there was smoke coming out of the chimney of the house."
Mr Briggs added his wife saw his neighbour trying to battle the flame with his garden hose.
- 1 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 2 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 3 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 4 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 5 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 6 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 7 Unique 'time warp' 1970s farmhouse goes on sale for £795,000
- 8 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 9 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 10 Norfolk Covid-19 case rates increase slightly, with 55 in hospital
"He had his hosepipe and was trying to spray his hosepipe onto the roof.
"I said it's such a shame as I treasure that old house, I was born there and now live next to it.
"But it will be restored. When it was listed, they said it was built in about 1664. It's full of old beams."