Travellers told to move by Tuesday or face court action
- Credit: Archant
Travellers who have invaded on a popular park in the centre of a South Norfolk town have been warned they have until Tuesday to leave or face court action.
Eight caravans towed by 4x4 vehicles and vans began to arrive at Diss Park on Thursday (May 2) and were driven on to the grass where they were parked.
On Saturday the makeshift encampment was still in place at the centre of the park, which stretches from the banks of Diss Mere to Park Road and Denmark Street.
The caravans have been sited close to the town's main public children's area and public toilets. The six-acre park, which is overseen by Diss Town Council, also includes a multi-use games court, Diss Pavilion and picnic benches that are popular for people overlooking the Mere.
The Town Council said it was working closely with Norfolk Police and South Norfolk District Council to address the problem and had today issued the travellers a notice to leave, though they may remain on the park until after the Bank Holiday weekend.
In a statement the council said: "A notice to leave has been issued to the travelling community today requesting that they vacate the park by the end of Tuesday.
"This is the first step to invoking Part 55 of the Civil Procedures Rules allowing landowners to regain possession of their land. If the travellers do not leave the site by May 7, the Town Council will then begin action against the unauthorised travellers through the County Court.
- 1 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 4 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan
- 5 Norfolk MP's concern over new line of pylons
- 6 Electric aircraft to take to the skies over Norfolk
- 7 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 8 Recipe: Make our Cherries Jubilee cake
- 9 Street food, live music and fireworks planned for Diss Jubilee celebrations
- 10 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
Police said they had been made aware of the travellers on the site and that officers were making a visit and that the land owners would be assisted if any action is to be taken.
The council statement added: "The travellers have been polite and amenable to the requests of the police and council until now and there have been no reports of any anti-social behaviour."