Customers fear the Harleston shop they can’t live without will close or relocate
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
A popular, award-winning independent shop in a Norfolk market town could be forced to close unless a new owner is found to keep it on the high street.
Ajandek, in Harleston's Market Place, won best independent store South Norfolk's Retailer Awards with its offering of lifestyle and personal gifts made from scratch.
But family commitments and other projects mean owner Janet Harrowven cannot donate time to further its growth.
The shop has now gone up for sale and Mrs Harrowven is appealing for someone to come forward to continue its work and avoid its closure.
She said: 'I have built Ajandek up from scratch and I have a lovely loyal customer base.
You may also want to watch:
'It would be a shame if Harleston were now to lose an award-winning shop with relocation or closure.
'We need to help the high streets that have individual shops survive.
- 1 Village road to shut all day for essential work
- 2 'They thought I was crazy' - New owner's lockdown pub success
- 3 Town reveals plans for post-lockdown celebration
- 4 Radio station reveals plans to open 'game changing' second studio
- 5 Calls for ban on development around town's beauty spot
- 6 Locusts, vinegar cake and crocodile: 6 weird dishes served in Norfolk
- 7 'Very small' number of Indian Covid variant cases in Norfolk
- 8 Bomber squadron museum release unseen war era photos
- 9 American serviceman's legacy remembered through new war-inspired nose art
- 10 'I was in tears': Dentist can keep working despite failing 13 patients
'Ajandek has much more potential growth and I am hoping that there is someone perhaps locally who would love to have their own business and someone who would like to continue Ajandek which has much more potential growth.
'I believe that if you have your own business you should be in it for most of the time.
'I don't have this time to give now due to family projects and commitments.'
Loyal customer Patt Webb said: 'I shall be devastated if the shop is sold or relocated. It's lovely and has a whole variety of unusual things.
'I wanted an umbrella the other day - the shop had one which was hands free so if you needed to text or something you could hang it over your wrist.
'Recently I wanted some jewellery for my son's wedding and Janet sent me photos and got some jewellery in for me to look at.
'Harleston has a variety of shops and it is nice not to have to trail up to Norwich, and of course we have free parking too.'
What do you think of Harleston's town centre? Write, giving your full contact details, to email@example.com