Customers fear the Harleston shop they can’t live without will close or relocate
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
A popular, award-winning independent shop in a Norfolk market town could be forced to close unless a new owner is found to keep it on the high street.
Ajandek, in Harleston's Market Place, won best independent store South Norfolk's Retailer Awards with its offering of lifestyle and personal gifts made from scratch.
But family commitments and other projects mean owner Janet Harrowven cannot donate time to further its growth.
The shop has now gone up for sale and Mrs Harrowven is appealing for someone to come forward to continue its work and avoid its closure.
She said: 'I have built Ajandek up from scratch and I have a lovely loyal customer base.
You may also want to watch:
'It would be a shame if Harleston were now to lose an award-winning shop with relocation or closure.
'We need to help the high streets that have individual shops survive.
- 1 A140 cleared after being partially blocked following crash
- 2 Farms, former rail lines and old buildings set to be sold off by council
- 3 Where in Norfolk can you celebrate Christmas in church this year?
- 4 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 5 Heavy rain prompts flood warnings as first snow forecast to fall
- 6 Car carrying five people crashes into ditch
- 7 Person freed from vehicle after crash on A140
- 8 Fresh calls for Norfolk to move to tier one ahead of key Commons vote
- 9 Parts of Norfolk may see snow by end of the week, say forecasters
- 10 'Raring to go' - Businesses ready to reopen in time for Christmas rush
'Ajandek has much more potential growth and I am hoping that there is someone perhaps locally who would love to have their own business and someone who would like to continue Ajandek which has much more potential growth.
'I believe that if you have your own business you should be in it for most of the time.
'I don't have this time to give now due to family projects and commitments.'
Loyal customer Patt Webb said: 'I shall be devastated if the shop is sold or relocated. It's lovely and has a whole variety of unusual things.
'I wanted an umbrella the other day - the shop had one which was hands free so if you needed to text or something you could hang it over your wrist.
'Recently I wanted some jewellery for my son's wedding and Janet sent me photos and got some jewellery in for me to look at.
'Harleston has a variety of shops and it is nice not to have to trail up to Norwich, and of course we have free parking too.'
What do you think of Harleston's town centre? Write, giving your full contact details, to firstname.lastname@example.org