Dad of Great British Bake Off winner Sophie Faldo cooks up charity challenge
- Credit: PA/Channel 4
Soldier turned stuntwoman Sophie Faldo whisked, baked and drizzled her way to be crowned Great British Bake Off champion, now her father is set to cook up his own challenge.
Paul Faldo, who lives in Hoxne, near Diss, has volunteered to have his trademark long locks shaved off and his chest waxed in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support — and he will also be kissing goodbye to the moustache he has sported for 50 years.
The fundraising challenge is the result of pub bet at his favourite local The Ivy House in Stradbroke. He will undergo his radical change of looks at the pub on October 27 with fellow regular Jan Thacker wielding the clippers.
She said: 'He said as long as we could raise £1,000 for Macmillan he would do it. It's very brave of him but it's a cause that is close to his heart as he lost his mother to cancer.
'As long as I've known him he has had the same look with the long hair and moustache. He is very recognisable, but I think he might need a woolly hat after this.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Faldo said: 'It came up in discussion in the pub and in a flash I thought 'actually I'll do that'. Anything to help Macmillan because they are brilliant.
'My mother was a theatre sister during the wartime, a very ferocious authoritarian position so she was not exactly forthcoming with praise for a lot of things, but she was absolutely full of praise for Macmillan. They could not do enough for her.'
- 1 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 2 Lorry driver, 75, denies causing A140 motorist's death by careless driving
- 3 Funeral arrangements for Prince Philip confirmed
- 4 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 5 Man denies arsons which caused £680k damage and killed 50 pigs
- 6 Pubs and shops to open on Monday: what else can I do when restrictions are eased?
- 7 Prince Charles says royal family are 'deeply grateful' for public support following Prince Philip death
- 8 Still time to have your say on town's future as bypass plans go in
- 9 Why will secondary pupils still have to wear face masks after Easter?
- 10 Village post office set to reopen after flooding damage
His daughter, a former Royal Artillery officer, who grew up in Birdbrook, near Haverhill, and attended Ipswich High School, was crowned winner of last year's Great British Bake Off. She now lives in Surrey and her victory on the show led to two internships at Michelin-starred restaurants – as well as training to be a stuntwoman.
Mr Faldo said: 'She said that she might be able to pop up to witness it. She has been really busy with the start of the new series of Great British Bake Off.'
Even if she doesn't witness it in person the aftermath will be the first time she has ever seen her father without his moustache.
He said: 'I had an accident playing hockey and I got my upper lip smashed and lost a couple of teeth. It meant I couldn't shave because I had stitches. That was when I was about 18 or 19, 50 years ago, and the moustache has been with me ever since.'
To support Mr Faldo's challenge visit bravetheshave.macmillan.org.uk/shavers/paul-faldo