Dad of Great British Bake Off winner Sophie Faldo cooks up charity challenge
- Credit: PA/Channel 4
Soldier turned stuntwoman Sophie Faldo whisked, baked and drizzled her way to be crowned Great British Bake Off champion, now her father is set to cook up his own challenge.
Paul Faldo, who lives in Hoxne, near Diss, has volunteered to have his trademark long locks shaved off and his chest waxed in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support — and he will also be kissing goodbye to the moustache he has sported for 50 years.
The fundraising challenge is the result of pub bet at his favourite local The Ivy House in Stradbroke. He will undergo his radical change of looks at the pub on October 27 with fellow regular Jan Thacker wielding the clippers.
She said: 'He said as long as we could raise £1,000 for Macmillan he would do it. It's very brave of him but it's a cause that is close to his heart as he lost his mother to cancer.
'As long as I've known him he has had the same look with the long hair and moustache. He is very recognisable, but I think he might need a woolly hat after this.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Faldo said: 'It came up in discussion in the pub and in a flash I thought 'actually I'll do that'. Anything to help Macmillan because they are brilliant.
'My mother was a theatre sister during the wartime, a very ferocious authoritarian position so she was not exactly forthcoming with praise for a lot of things, but she was absolutely full of praise for Macmillan. They could not do enough for her.'
- 1 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney
- 2 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 3 Norfolk to get rapid Covid test sites - to find people without symptoms
- 4 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 5 24/7 Covid vaccinations promised as 'soon as possible'
- 6 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 7 Broadband firm pledges 'Herculean effort' in hyperfast roll-out
- 8 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 9 IN PICTURES: The businesses still going strong in lockdown
- 10 Shop facing £150k flood bill sets up mobile post office
His daughter, a former Royal Artillery officer, who grew up in Birdbrook, near Haverhill, and attended Ipswich High School, was crowned winner of last year's Great British Bake Off. She now lives in Surrey and her victory on the show led to two internships at Michelin-starred restaurants – as well as training to be a stuntwoman.
Mr Faldo said: 'She said that she might be able to pop up to witness it. She has been really busy with the start of the new series of Great British Bake Off.'
Even if she doesn't witness it in person the aftermath will be the first time she has ever seen her father without his moustache.
He said: 'I had an accident playing hockey and I got my upper lip smashed and lost a couple of teeth. It meant I couldn't shave because I had stitches. That was when I was about 18 or 19, 50 years ago, and the moustache has been with me ever since.'
To support Mr Faldo's challenge visit bravetheshave.macmillan.org.uk/shavers/paul-faldo