Search

Death crash drivers admit killing

PUBLISHED: 09:57 28 January 2010 | UPDATED: 11:25 12 July 2010

Two young men on Friday admitted causing the death of “friendly and delightful” teenager Stacey Cutts as they raced their cars on a Norfolk road.

Miss Cutts, who was celebrating her 18th birthday when she died, was a front seat passenger in a black Toyota Celica when it lost control and left the main A140 Ipswich Road last April.

Two young men on Friday admitted causing the death of “friendly and delightful” teenager Stacey Cutts as they raced their cars on a Norfolk road.

Miss Cutts, who was celebrating her 18th birthday when she died, was a front seat passenger in a black Toyota Celica when it lost control and left the main A140 Ipswich Road last April.

The car hit fencing and trees next to the junction with Marlpit Lane, Tasburgh, killing Miss Cutts, from Harleston. A second female passenger suffered minor injuries.

During a brief hearing at Norwich Crown Court, packed with tearful members of Miss Cutts' family, Jake Riseborough and Tom Wright pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.

The case was adjourned until a later sentencing hearing when further details of the incident will be heard. It is understood the two men were driving separate cars and some witnesses have said they appeared to be racing one another.

Her family were distraught as they left court but had earlier appealed for witnesses to come forward following the “tragic waste of life”. In a statement they said: “Stacey was much loved and cherished daughter and a great sister to her 14-year-old brother.

“This is a huge loss not only to her family but also to her friends and everyone who knew her.”

Gordon Lascelles. deputy head-teacher at Archbishop Sancroft High School, Harleston, said: “Stacey was a very friendly delightful and beautiful young lady and both students and staff had been shocked and stunned by the news of her death.

“She was an excellent student who always worked hard tried her best and enhanced any group by her presence.”

Riseborough, 19, of St Mary's Close, Harleston, and Wright, 21, of Bury Road, Wortham, were both given interim driving bans while their sentence is decided.

Judge Peter Jacobs said: “There is never closure in the cases but the family needs this matter resolved as soon as possible.”

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad. Coronavirus is one of the greatest challenges our community has ever faced, but if we all play our part we will defeat it. We're here to serve as your advocate and trusted source of local information.

In these testing times, your support is more important than ever. Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Diss Mercury