Debt problems loom large - CAB
A LARGE increase in the number of people seeking help with debt has been reported by the Diss Citizens Advice Bureau. Joyce Cameron, CAB money adviser said: “Over the past few weeks we have been dealing with a four-fold increase in the number of clients seeking help with regard to their debt situation.
A LARGE increase in the number of people seeking help with debt has been reported by the Diss Citizens Advice Bureau.
Joyce Cameron, CAB money adviser said: “Over the past few weeks we have been dealing with a four-fold increase in the number of clients seeking help with regard to their debt situation. There is especially a rise in the number of people with mortgage problems, secured loans and a lot of these clients are in negative equity”.
Compared to the previous year, the CAB in Diss has this year had a “huge amount” of additional work, with a total increase of 58pc in direct contacts with clients and with others on behalf of clients.
The bureau money advice team of five specialist workers dealt with more than £7,000,000 of debt, and nearly £680,000 was raised in increased benefits and settlements from employment-related cases. In total, 180 families were helped to avoid actual or potential homelessness and 489 clients were supported in managing their rent and council tax arrears.
You may also want to watch:
An open day is being held from 10am-noon on Saturday, December 6 to celebrate the CAB's new premises at Shelfanger Road in Diss, and enable visitors to find out more about the help and advice available, including useful information relating to the credit crunch.
Cynthia Schears, the new manager of Diss and Thetford CAB, said: “We want to publicise all of our services so that people will know how we can help. Everyone is welcome at our open day. We want people to see our lovely new premises and we are looking for new volunteers to help us run the service.
- 1 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 2 'It seems to be a new normal' - 'Pingdemic' forces barbers to close
- 3 Ron and Norma share their secret to 60 years of marriage
- 4 Midwich sees profits leap 29pc in first half of 2021
- 5 Record numbers in Norfolk ‘pinged’ to isolate by NHS Covid app
- 6 Tributes paid to farmer and WW2 museum curator
- 7 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 8 'It's killing me': Abuse victim moved into flat with asbestos and mould
- 9 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
- 10 Villagers gather for unveiling of play area after £45k fundraiser
“The bureau is staffed mainly by dedicated trained volunteers who we value greatly. Each CAB is an independent charity funded entirely by grants and donations.”
There will be free mince pies, coffee and tea, and Christmas children's activities from 10am onwards. A range of experts will be on hand, and the Diss Community Bank will be available to explain its savings and loans schemes.
For more information, contact Cynthia Schears, Manager, Diss, Thetford and District CAB on 01379 642291, or email manager@