Diss air cadet flies solo
A YOUNG cadet is celebrating after flying solo after joining a prestigious pilot scheme.
Flight Sgt Ben Kerry, of the 1070 (Diss) Squadron, achieved the high point of his cadet career by taking a light aircraft to the skies on his own.
The 18-year-old former Hartismere High School pupil completed a gruelling nine-day course after being awarded a scholarship for the Air Cadet Pilot Scheme.
Flight Sgt Kerry's was challenged to fly a Grob 115D aircraft during a course at the Tayside Aviation Centre in Dundee, Scotland.
He said: 'I spent 12 hours in the air, 11 hours flying with an instructor in the aircraft beside me and a total of an hour flying solo. Understandably I was a bit nervous but I had to stay calm and professional.'
You may also want to watch:
'I thoroughly enjoyed the course and would recommend it to anyone looking to go for a career in the RAF. In the last two years I have been on camp to Gibraltar, flown a glider solo and now this. It doesn't get any better than this!'.
There are just 140 scholarships across the country for the course every year, three of which were offered to cadets from Norfolk and Suffolk.
- 1 Funeral arrangements for Prince Philip confirmed
- 2 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 3 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 4 Man denies arsons which caused £680k damage and killed 50 pigs
- 5 Lorry driver, 75, denies causing A140 motorist's death by careless driving
- 6 Pubs and shops to open on Monday: what else can I do when restrictions are eased?
- 7 Village post office set to reopen after flooding damage
- 8 Why will secondary pupils still have to wear face masks after Easter?
- 9 'Norfolk was a special place to him' - MPs' tributes to Prince Philip
- 10 Residents asked to leave sheltered housing with building's future in limbo
Diss Air Cadets parade every Tuesday and Thursday, at the Drill Hall, Sunnyside, Diss from 7pm until 9.30pm.
For more information, visit www.aircadets.org or call 0845 600 6601.