Diss bus station to move?
- Credit: Dominic Bareham
A town's bus station could move to a new larger location at an existing car park under plans being considered by councillors.
South Norfolk councillors are looking into moving Diss' bus station from its current Park Road site across the road to the South Norfolk Council-owned car park at Mere Park to enable it to cope with future demand.
Councillor Tony Palmer said the attraction of this relocation would be that there would be more space for the buses and there were already facilities in place for passengers, including toilets and an information board.
He added: 'We do need a bigger bus station. The current site is inadequate to cope with demand because there are often eight buses parked there.'
Mr Palmer said the other advantage was that passengers would be able to walk from the bus station to the town centre without having to cross the busy Park Road, which they have to do at present.
You may also want to watch:
A footpath could be created from the station to link up with Madgett's Walk to enable people to walk down by the Mere and into town.
Mr Palmer said the councillors had hoped to use parkland next to the car park for the station instead, but this was currently unobtainable, though the parking spaces were council-owned.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 3 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 4 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 5 Four weekends of road closures in Diss due to resurfacing work
- 6 Opinion: Shock tactics needed for retirement saving
- 7 Train troubles in Norfolk after lorry hits overhead cables
- 8 Contactless card payment limit increased to £100
- 9 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 10 Norfolk RAF hero who lost both legs wins national awards
'We are just looking at it as a possible option at the moment that would work, but the detail would still need to be worked out,' he added.
n What do you think about the plan to move the bus station? Write, giving your full contact details, to: Mercury Letters, 26 Mere Street, Diss IP22 4AD or email email@example.com