Diss Corn Hall to host craft fair
Being made redundant was not the end of the world for one Diss craftswoman who used the opportunity to fulfil her dream of starting her own business.
Having lost her job as a youth worker with Norfolk County Council, Roz Barnett, 46, used her redundancy money to launch As you like it Jewellery Design this month.
She has decided to do her bit to encourage residents to shop locally by organising a craft fair, which is taking place at Diss Corn Hall today (November 26) from 10am.
Visitors will be able to browse more than 20 stalls and snap up a range of unique handmade Christmas gifts from some of the area's most talented craftspeople. If successful Roz plans to turn the fair into a monthly event.
Roz said: 'There's not many places for craftspeople to sell from in this area. There's no regular venues or events so I approached the Diss Corn Hall and wondered if they would be interested in hosting us.'
Roz works from home were she creates jewellery from glass, gemstones and vintage beads set with silver. She also organises jewellery parties at people's homes.
Using her past experience as a youth woker in Diss and Harleston, she hopes to carry out jewellery-making workshops for young people and has ambitions of opening her own shop.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 2 'Metal monstrosities' - Opposition to new East Anglia power line grows
- 3 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 4 'Like a Halloween scene' - huge caterpillar webs engulf hedges
- 5 Norfolk MP's concern over new line of pylons
- 6 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 7 WATCH: Inside ex-Aviva office being bought for millions by councils
- 8 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 9 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 10 Travel: Stay on the UK's first floating glamping pod...in Beccles
She said: 'I was really sad to leave the county council but my job was becoming difficult and it was becoming more difficult because of the cuts. It came at the right time for me.'
For more information, call Roz on 01379 643129 or email email@example.com