‘He was in so much pain’: neighbours’ frantic efforts to help cannabis factory fire victim

The fire at Cuthbert Maltings on Thursday night. PHOTO: Cemal Adiguzel

The fire at Cuthbert Maltings on Thursday night. PHOTO: Cemal Adiguzel - Credit: Archant

A roof fire attended by 23 fire fighters last night was in a cannabis factory, police have revealed.

Firefighters were called to Cuthberts Maltings in Diss after a blaze broke out at a property being u

Firefighters were called to Cuthberts Maltings in Diss after a blaze broke out at a property being used as a cannabis factory. Picture: Chloe Goulding - Credit: Archant

The blaze, attended by Norfolk Fire and Rescue crews from Diss, Earlham, Harleston and Long Stratton, was at Cuthberts Maltings, off Victoria Road in Diss, shortly after 11.20pm on Thursday (October 18).

A police spokesman said on investigation it appeared there had been a cannabis factory on the property.

No arrests have been made but the investigation continues. A man was taken to hospital with injuries.

Jacqui Walker, who lives on Cuthbert Maltings, said: 'It was about 11.20pm, we live just a few doors down.


You may also want to watch:


'I could smell smoke and thought someone was having a cigarette as they were walking by, but it got stronger and I could see blue lights coming up Victoria Road.

'I ran downstairs to see what was going on because I could see they were coming here.

Most Read

'The chap was on the floor outside the house and people were helping him. Luckily one of our neighbours used to be an accident and emergency doctor. It was a good 45 minutes before the ambulance came.'

The mother-of-two added: 'I think everybody was quite concerned because it was in an attic space which bedrooms are underneath - they have all got three floors along there. People whose houses are near were worried it was going to come through. It looked like one hell of a fire.

'The chap was in so much pain, it was really hard to watch so much pain. We were doing everything we could, and brought blankets because he was shivering.

'The ambulance service was great when they got here and the fire service were really terrific. They left about 1am.

'I'm absolutely exhausted. It was not the type of thing you expect. It's everyone's worst nightmare seeing a fire and finding out someone was in it.'

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter
Comments powered by Disqus