Cyclists encouraged to sign up for Diss Cyclathon to be in with the chance of winning a hand built bike
- Credit: Archant
A popular cycling event which last year raised thousands of pounds for charity has teamed up with an independent bike shop to help make this year's event bigger and better than ever before.
This June, Diss will once again turn in to the cycling centre of the region as cyclists of all ages and abilities will be encouraged to take part in the Diss Cyclathon.
The event gives riders the opportunity to take part in family rides, or the more challenging Nine Town Sportive.
A 25, 50 or 100-mile cycle which takes cyclists through nine of Norfolk and Suffolk's most picturesque market towns including, Beccles, Wymondham and Thetford.
Last year's event raised £10,000 for charity, £6,700 of which was donated to the East Anglian Air Ambulance, with the remainder going towards local cycling clubs and community events in Diss.
You may also want to watch:
Alan Franks, the event organiser said: 'We've helped raise over £20,000 for local charities, good causes and cycling groups in the two years we've been running Diss Cyclathon and are keen to do even more in 2018.
'The main way we raise money is by organizing a cycling event called the Nine Town Sportive as part of the Cyclathon and we're asking as many local cyclists as possible to sign up.'
- 1 Tree falls on rail line as winds up to 69mph hit Norfolk
- 2 'We're very anxious at the moment': Co-Op staff on public abuse
- 3 Harleston funeral service celebrates 10th anniversary
- 4 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 5 Fifteen flood alerts in place amid 'stay indoors' warning
- 6 Specialist exercises for 'less mobile' during lockdown
- 7 Revenue tops £710m at specialist tech company
- 8 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 9 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 10 'Stay indoors' warning amid flooding fears for Norfolk roads
Now, in a bid to encourage more people to sign up for the event, the organisers of the Diss Cyclathon have teamed up with Madgetts Cycles in Diss to offer participants the chance to win a one of a kind, hand built bike.
Mick Madgett from Madgetts Cycles added: 'As a long established bike shop in Diss we're keen to support everyone who wants to get out on their bikes and the Nine Town Sportive is a great way to do that.
'Our customers tell us it's one of the best sportives in East Anglia and the money raised goes back to supporting local cycling.'
The Diss Cyclathon will take place on Sunday, June 24.
To sign up visit www.disscyclathon.org anyone who signs up before Tuesday May 1, will be in with a chance of winning the hand built bike from Madgetts Cycles.