‘Young people don’t appreciate how sociable it is.’ - Diss cyclathon attracts huge numbers
- Credit: Archant
Diss Cyclathon notched up a few gears by welcoming record numbers to its cross country event.
The event, now in its 4th year and winner of Cycling UK's 'Best Cycling Event 2018', offered routes from 5 miles to 100 miles from Diss Park.
Neil Collins, the event organiser, 49, said: "It's the best part in the country to cycle and a great way to see the countryside."
A fifth of cyclists had signed up for the 100 mile route, which takes in 8 market towns.
To cycle a route, attendees purchased a ticket with all proceeds going to mental health charity Mind.
You may also want to watch:
The event was designed for people of all ages, with a particular emphasis on the younger generation.
Mr Collins said: "It's important to get young people active, and active outside. It's really sociable as you chat alongside each other."
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 IN PICTURES: The businesses still going strong in lockdown
- 3 Shop facing £150k flood bill sets up mobile post office
- 4 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 5 24/7 Covid vaccinations promised as 'soon as possible'
- 6 Risk of flooding after parts of Norfolk see 8cm of snow
- 7 Revealed: 11 more coronavirus vaccination centres set to open
- 8 In pictures: Children make the most of weekend snow
- 9 Seven lockdown rules that could change
- 10 Broadband firm pledges 'Herculean effort' in hyperfast roll-out
There were also food stalls, a beer tent and entertainment provided by local bands.