Diss gears up for Christmas lights switch-on tonight
Talented singer Savannah Love and former Diss Town footballer Paul Gibbs will be given the honour of switching on this year's Diss Christmas lights.
The cabaret star and the ex-footballer, who scored the winning goal in the 1994 FA Vase Final at Wembley for Diss Town, will be joining Father Christmas in lighting up the town tonight <December 1>.
The crowds will also be able to enjoy a live performance from Savannah who will be belting out some heart-warming Christmas classics.
However, just three months ago it seemed the lights had gone out on the town's annual switch-on after Diss Town Council's Cittaslow Committee pulled out of organising the event due to funding pressures and lack of volunteers.
But a new organising committee was formed and there are hopes the future for the festive extravaganza will continue to look bright.
You may also want to watch:
Committee member Sarah Carpenter, manager of The Waterfront Inn, said: 'We're trying to move it into the 21st century.
'We just now need to get people aware that is happening and it is worth coming down for.'
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 3 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 4 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 5 Train troubles in Norfolk after lorry hits overhead cables
- 6 Four weekends of road closures in Diss due to resurfacing work
- 7 Opinion: Shock tactics needed for retirement saving
- 8 Contactless card payment limit increased to £100
- 9 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 10 Parish council chair says he'll stop development trucks
Entertainment on the night will begin at about 5pm while a procession, including the Town Mayor, Diss Carnival King and Queen and Father Christmas, will take place along Mere Street at 6.30pm. The lights are due to be switched-on at 6.45pm.
Visitors can enjoy music from jazz band Big Al's Swinging Santas, take photos with a horse and carriage at Mere's Mouth, watch a Punch and Judy Show, enjoy professional face painting, say hello to a Dalek and marvel at Lopham talent show winner Alfie Barnes, 10, who will be performing with his diablos.