Homeless man attacked while camping in park found accommodation
- Credit: Simon Parkin
A homeless man left with serious head and facial injuries in an attack has been found temporary accommodation.
The 32-year-old, who had been camping in a tent in Diss Park for the past five weeks, sustained serious injuries in the attack on Saturday, August 17.
Police were called to Park Road shortly after 9.40pm following reports a man had been attacked by another man armed with a metal tool.
Another man was later arrested on suspicion of assault occasioning grievous bodily harm and was questioned before being released on bail until September 11 while the investigation continues.
The victim was taken to the Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital for treatment but has now left following treatment and has been found accommodation outside of Diss.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman for South Norfolk Council confirmed the authority had secured a temporary accommodation place for him following discussions with Diss Town Council and police.
Before pitching his graffiti-covered tent in Diss Park the man had been camping for six weeks on a grassed area in grounds of retirement bungalows on Thomas Manning Road in Diss. Saffron Housing Trust, which runs the complex, had launched court action to move him on.
- 1 13 fire crews battle blaze at 'beautiful thatched house'
- 2 Family 'devastated' after thatched cottage badly damaged in fire
- 3 Severe damage caused to thatched cottage after blaze
- 4 Norfolk to feature in Steven Spielberg's Second World War TV series
- 5 Plans for new KFC and Starbucks refused
- 6 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 7 Norfolk County Council Elections 2021: Spotlight on South Norfolk
- 8 Care home residents delighted by alpaca visit
- 9 Teams to take on 375-mile walking challenge for Norfolk charities
- 10 Cash For Charites: Last call to apply for £20,000
He had been allowed to stay in the park by Diss Town Council, which manages the green space, and had recently pitched a second tent close to the edge of Diss Mere.
Council leader Simon Olander said they had decided not to move him as they felt that the park was big enough to accommodate his needs without impinging on others.
Speaking to Diss-based community radio station Park Radio three days prior to the man being attacked, Mr Olander said: "We didn't feel that we needed to move him on but we have liaised with other other bodies, South Norfolk Council and Norfolk Constabulary, to make sure he shouldn't be nuisance or a problem to anybody.
"I've not heard anything for me to say to our town clerks, can we move him on please. I don't feel that would do him any favours and I don't feel as a town we should be shunning people that are obviously in need."