Supersoakers and plucky paddlers: Diss raft racing from 1995
- Credit: Archant Library
When raft racing took place on Diss Mere it usually involved some motley crews and more soaking of rivals than actual paddling.
These pictures from our archives show competitors taking to the water in 1995. Among the teams appear to be one wearing police hats.
As part of the carnival, the Mere, which plunges to 20ft at its darkest depths, hosted the races for many years but they don't take place these days, which is a shame.
Do you recognise anyone taking part or were you in one of the teams?
Whoever won, the people racing on Diss Mere seem to be having a lot of fun!
- 1 New crafting event coming to East Anglia this summer
- 2 Man in court over hundreds of indecent images of children
- 3 Overcrowding fears sees council oppose town's affordable housing plans
- 4 Church school becomes latest to join growing academy trust
- 5 50-mile diversion in place as A140 set to close to repair damaged road
- 6 11 indulgent spa getaways in East Anglia
- 7 Contact tracing scammers return as Covid rates rise
- 8 War memorabilia to be displayed at Armed Forces Day in Diss
- 9 Classic car show back this weekend with over 700 vehicles
- 10 Town puts on a show for the Armed Forces