Supersoakers and plucky paddlers: Diss raft racing from 1995
- Credit: Archant Library
When raft racing took place on Diss Mere it usually involved some motley crews and more soaking of rivals than actual paddling.
These pictures from our archives show competitors taking to the water in 1995. Among the teams appear to be one wearing police hats.
As part of the carnival, the Mere, which plunges to 20ft at its darkest depths, hosted the races for many years but they don't take place these days, which is a shame.
Do you recognise anyone taking part or were you in one of the teams?
Whoever won, the people racing on Diss Mere seem to be having a lot of fun!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Funeral arrangements for Prince Philip confirmed
- 2 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 3 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 4 Man denies arsons which caused £680k damage and killed 50 pigs
- 5 Lorry driver, 75, denies causing A140 motorist's death by careless driving
- 6 Pubs and shops to open on Monday: what else can I do when restrictions are eased?
- 7 Village post office set to reopen after flooding damage
- 8 Why will secondary pupils still have to wear face masks after Easter?
- 9 'Norfolk was a special place to him' - MPs' tributes to Prince Philip
- 10 Residents asked to leave sheltered housing with building's future in limbo