Supersoakers and plucky paddlers: Diss raft racing from 1995
- Credit: Archant Library
When raft racing took place on Diss Mere it usually involved some motley crews and more soaking of rivals than actual paddling.
These pictures from our archives show competitors taking to the water in 1995. Among the teams appear to be one wearing police hats.
As part of the carnival, the Mere, which plunges to 20ft at its darkest depths, hosted the races for many years but they don't take place these days, which is a shame.
Do you recognise anyone taking part or were you in one of the teams?
Whoever won, the people racing on Diss Mere seem to be having a lot of fun!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 2 The 5 most viewed homes on the market in Norfolk last month
- 3 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 4 Ex-battery hens in need of free-range retirement homes
- 5 Are we on the verge of a post-Covid mental health crisis?
- 6 7 things every child in Norfolk should do before they are five
- 7 Norfolk's police deal with sharp rise in mental health-related callouts
- 8 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 9 Covid app changes mean fewer people will be 'pinged'
- 10 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu