Supersoakers and plucky paddlers: Diss raft racing from 1995
- Credit: Archant Library
When raft racing took place on Diss Mere it usually involved some motley crews and more soaking of rivals than actual paddling.
These pictures from our archives show competitors taking to the water in 1995. Among the teams appear to be one wearing police hats.
As part of the carnival, the Mere, which plunges to 20ft at its darkest depths, hosted the races for many years but they don't take place these days, which is a shame.
Do you recognise anyone taking part or were you in one of the teams?
Whoever won, the people racing on Diss Mere seem to be having a lot of fun!
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 3 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 4 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 5 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 6 Four weekends of road closures in Diss due to resurfacing work
- 7 Norfolk Covid-19 case rates increase slightly, with 55 in hospital
- 8 9 of the best places to see fireworks in Norfolk in 2021
- 9 Train troubles in Norfolk after lorry hits overhead cables
- 10 Parish council chair says he'll stop development trucks