Supersoakers and plucky paddlers: Diss raft racing from 1995
- Credit: Archant Library
When raft racing took place on Diss Mere it usually involved some motley crews and more soaking of rivals than actual paddling.
These pictures from our archives show competitors taking to the water in 1995. Among the teams appear to be one wearing police hats.
As part of the carnival, the Mere, which plunges to 20ft at its darkest depths, hosted the races for many years but they don't take place these days, which is a shame.
Do you recognise anyone taking part or were you in one of the teams?
Whoever won, the people racing on Diss Mere seem to be having a lot of fun!
- 1 New Lidl could create 40 'living wage' jobs
- 2 Two crashes in one hour in Pulham Market area
- 3 WATCH: Norfolk MP says PM birthday celebration a 'relatively minor offence'
- 4 Fast-growing audio-visual company snaps up another business
- 5 The battle of Bressingham... the village torn apart by energy scheme
- 6 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 7 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 8 Class A and B drug dealer jailed for more than two years
- 9 Ever fancied being a real life CSI? Now's your chance!
- 10 Six fire crews tackle house blaze near Diss