Diss optician becomes one of only three specialists in Norfolk
- Credit: Archant
An optician in Diss has become one of the only three independent prescribers in the county allowing him to treat eye conditions which would normally need a trip to the hospital.
Ed Adkins, of Adkins Opticians, was certified as a prescriber after completing training and passing an exam. The company will also be celebrating its 10th anniversary since it opened in the Heritage Triangle.
Mr Adkins, 43, said: 'They say that time flies when you are having fun and we have certainly enjoyed looking after the eyes of people in the Diss area for the past 10 years.
'It has been our privilege to be entrusted with patient's eye health and vision, something we take very seriously.
'We have made a lot of friends over the years and it's always nice to catch up with familiar faces when they return again and again.'
You may also want to watch:
Mr Adkins moved to Diss 25 years ago with his wife. He worked as an optician in Stowmarket after leaving University before deciding to open his own opticians.
The father-of-three added: 'It made more sense to be closer to home and be a part of the community. I really like the community, there is always something going on to enjoy.
- 1 69 homes for Suffolk village delayed over 'bland' design
- 2 'It seems to be a new normal' - 'Pingdemic' forces barbers to close
- 3 Midwich sees profits leap 29pc in first half of 2021
- 4 Ron and Norma share their secret to 60 years of marriage
- 5 Pregnancy, testing and natural immunity - your Covid jab concerns answered
- 6 'It's killing me': Abuse victim moved into flat with asbestos and mould
- 7 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 8 Tributes paid to farmer and WW2 museum curator
- 9 Record numbers in Norfolk ‘pinged’ to isolate by NHS Covid app
- 10 Villagers gather for unveiling of play area after £45k fundraiser
'Being based in the Heritage Triangle is really nice and it has improved over the years.
'Diss has kept us on our feet as it has changed over the years which is good thing. Optics has changed massively in terms of knowledge and technology having to constantly train and invest in new equipment.
'It is nice to be part of the community and give people some continuity to their treatment.'
There are less than 500 opticians who are registered as independent prescribers with only two others in Norfolk.
Mr Adkins can now prescribe medication and treatments for a range of eye related problems including dry eye, infections and allergies.
Adkins Opticians has brought many firsts to Diss in the 10 years of service including the first 3D eye scanning and eye imagining tests and now the first independent prescriber.
Mr Adkins added: 'Being in somewhere like Diss which can be remote it means people will not need to travel to Norwich.
'We are now looking forward to the future and any changes that come our way.'