Diss Rotarians raise �5,000 for Haiti
Adam GrettonShoppers and residents in Diss helped raise almost �5,000 for the victims of the Haiti earthquake following a street collection in the town.Officials from the Diss Rotary Club were overwhelmed by the public support for the appeal when they collected recently in the Market Place for the disaster relief effort.Adam Gretton
Shoppers and residents in Diss helped raise almost �5,000 for the victims of the Haiti earthquake following a street collection in the town.
Officials from the Diss Rotary Club were overwhelmed by the public support for the appeal when they collected recently in the Market Place for the disaster relief effort.
The fundraising effort generated �4,940, which will go towards buying six shelter boxes that contain a tent sufficient for a 10 person extended family, water purification, and essential starter equipment.
A total of �125,000 was raised by Rotary clubs throughout East Anglia for the earthquake appeal.
Rotarians in Diss are set to begin a fresh fundraising campaign in the coming week as part of the Thanks for Life project to rid the world of polio.
Club president Eddie Higgins said members were 'overwhelmed' by the public generosity for the earthquake appeal and hoped that people will also recognise the importance of eliminating polio forever.
- 1 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 2 JCB skip loader worth £5,500 stolen from Suffolk village
- 3 Approval granted for 69 new homes in Suffolk village
- 4 'Key moment' for town centre as £800,000 improvements agreed
- 5 Haulage company turns recruitment corner after upping wages five times
- 6 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 7 Mum's tribute to 'amazing' son amid mental health plea
- 8 Tribute paid to father-of-three who died near his home aged 36
- 9 Elderly people targeted by scammers pretending to be police officers
- 10 Case adjourned for woman charged with causing death by careless driving
Diss Rotary club meets at the Park Hotel on Tuesdays and prospective members can Les Smith for more details on 01379 783133 or 07792 273334.