Diss station revamp plan unveiled
Moves to boost tourism in Diss are on track with the announcement of plans to revamp the town's train station.Local councillors are keen for the town, which is on the Norwich/London mainline, to be seen as a destination to get to rather than somewhere to go through.
Moves to boost tourism in Diss are on track with the announcement of plans to revamp the town's train station.
Local councillors are keen for the town, which is on the Norwich/London mainline, to be seen as a destination to get to rather than somewhere to go through.
Members of Diss Town Council and South Norfolk Council recently met with representatives from rail operator Network Rail to discuss ways of attracting people into the area and encourage residents to use the trains.
The plans include putting floral displays and photos of Diss along the platforms and advertising the town as a tourist destination at other stations, using leaflets and articles in National Express' magazine.
You may also want to watch:
South Norfolk councillor for Diss Tony Palmer chaired the meeting with National Express.
He said: “Diss is on the mainline and is a very good target to draw people into the Waveney Valley. We want Diss to be seen as somewhere to go and visit rather than somewhere people travel through.”
- 1 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 2 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 3 UEA expert: Covid isolation 'will still be needed in a year's time'
- 4 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 5 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village
- 6 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 7 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 8 Villagers gather for unveiling of play area after £45k fundraiser
- 9 999 callers told 'don't ring back to see when your ambulance will arrive'
- 10 Diss war hero reaches final 10 in Brave Briton Awards
Making improvements to disabled access at the station, refurbishment of the toilets and waiting rooms, and extending car parking are all in the pipeline.
Tidying up the approach road and car park areas and smartening up the bridges in Victoria Road and Frenze Hall Lane have also been highlighted as issues to address. A bus interchange at the station is also being discussed.