Diss to say 'thanks' for local food
An American-style thanksgiving feast of local food is being held in Diss at the end of the month. Slow Food Waveney Valley has organised the event which will feature turkey with sweetcorn and sweet-potato stuffing prepared by the town's own gourmet chef, Freddie Jones.
An American-style thanksgiving feast of local food is being held in Diss at the end of the month.
Slow Food Waveney Valley has organised the event which will feature turkey with sweetcorn and sweet-potato stuffing prepared by the town's own gourmet chef, Freddie Jones. The bird is organic from a farm near Bungay, and everyone attending will be expected to take a dish of either vegetables or dessert, with some local ingredients if possible.
William Hudson, of the slow food group, said: “We've done this a couple of times before, with people supplying most of the food, and it has worked really well. People try hard and the result is a feast, and it keeps costs down. Slow-food events are very sociable.”
The thanksgiving takes place at 7pm on November 28 at the United Reformed Church as part of the town's Tom Paine festival with its American 18th-century theme, and the Diss Cittaslow programme. Local group Mere Musica will perform traditional tunes, songs and poems.
You may also want to watch:
Tickets cost £10, with a discount of £2 for members of the slow food group, and £6 for children under 16. Tickets must be bought in advance from Diss Tourist Information Centre, Frederick's Fine Food, in Cobbs Yard, Diss, or call Madeline on 07766 711999.
- 1 Charity worker stole £12k from man, 90, and bought a shed
- 2 Former children's shoe fitter feels 'very special' on turning 100
- 3 Norfolk and Suffolk elections 2021: Election day guide
- 4 80 foot 'golf ball' radar tower rejected for Norfolk village
- 5 'Don't suffer in silence' - Debt expert fears post-Covid crisis
- 6 Big rise in Norfolk children being home-schooled
- 7 What a difference a year makes: Norfolk braced for yet more rainfall
- 8 Six TikTok teens get stuck in toddler swings
- 9 50,000 more Covid jabs given out - but pace slows in region
- 10 Police search for Norwich man wanted on recall to prison