Elastic bands warning after popular Bobby the dog’s tragic death
- Credit: Archant
A dog walker has urged people not to discard their unwanted elastic bands on the ground after her much-loved pet lurcher became ill when he ate too many and later died.
Heather Heslop's dog Bobby was well-known and popular in Diss, where he made friends with other canines and their owners on his regular walks around the town.
But eating a pile of elastic bands in Diss Park a number of years ago, which caused him to vomit, left him to have longer-term health problems.
After accidentally eating more elastic bands caught within a clump of grass, Bobby – who also had Cushing's disease – had to be put to sleep by a vet last week.
'He was the most wonderful creature – my best friend, my everything,' said Mrs Heslop.
You may also want to watch:
'People would stop to say hello and he would put a smile on everyone's face. He was beautiful.
'Everyone loved him and knew him. My friends with dogs are livid and upset about it. It was terrible. It should never have happened.
- 1 "I thought I had freshers flu, but Drs said I could have died within a week"
- 2 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 3 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
- 4 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 5 Opinion: Uncomfortable home truths about being retirement ready
- 6 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 8 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 9 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 10 PlayStation, iPad and pottery classes bought with NHS budget
'Something has got to be done to stop this. Elastic bands are everywhere and I'm spotting them all over the place.'
Mrs Heslop said the main problem areas are around Mount Street and Hayward Avenue.
She says she has confronted those who she has seen drop plastic bands but that the problem of littering has still continued.
She is keen to warn other dog walkers of the problem so their own pets are affected in the future.