Family gathers to see great grandfather’s role in town’s agricultural past honoured
- Credit: Simon Parkin
Descendants of pioneering Diss agricultural manufacturer Elijah Young returned to Diss to see the restoration of one of his most famous products go on display in the town.
The Champion Iron Plough, better known as "The Swootman", was produced in Diss by Elijah Youngs & Co and became world famous.
And some 100 years after it last worked the land a surviving example, lovingly restored by Peter Hyde, chairman of the trustees of Diss Heritage Triangle Trust, was unveiled as a permanent display at the Heritage Wildlife Gardens beside Diss Mere.
Members of the Youngs family, including Sally Thynnes, from Cape Town, John McClintock, from Belfast, Jane Benham and Anne Johnson, were present to see the unveiling by Diss Mayor Sonia Browne.
Restored historic plough marks agricultural past of town where it was madeThe restored plough was originally donated to Diss Museum by Peggy Wheeler, the granddaughter of Elijah Youngs and whose father had originally owned it.
Mrs Thynnes said: "Our aunt Peggy would have been over the moon to see the plough restored and put on display in the town. We are extremely proud to see our great grandfather, Elijah, being honoured in this way."
The history of the Youngs family and firm was also celebrated with a special display of machinery at Bressingham Steam Museum on Sunday, September 29.
- 1 New crafting event coming to East Anglia this summer
- 2 Man in court over hundreds of indecent images of children
- 3 Overcrowding fears sees council oppose town's affordable housing plans
- 4 Church school becomes latest to join growing academy trust
- 5 50-mile diversion in place as A140 set to close to repair damaged road
- 6 Train evacuated after hitting horse on Norwich to Diss line
- 7 Contact tracing scammers return as Covid rates rise
- 8 Threat of more rail disruption as Greater Anglia workers are to be balloted for strikes
- 9 Rare 19th century painting found in Norfolk home sells for £160k
- 10 Man charged with burglaries, dangerous driving and assault