New Hug café to serve up ethical produce in biodegradable packaging
- Credit: Wendy Aiken
A new environmentally friendly café promising comforting dishes with minimum impact on the planet has opened its doors to customers.
Hug on Market Hill in Diss is offering freshly cooked homemade food and drink, including vegan options, on constantly changing seasonal menu sourced from ethically, environmentally friendly and socially responsible produce.
The concept is the brainchild of chef James Richardson-Thacker, 39, who grew up in Long Stratton and who is already well-known locally as owner of the Fox & Hounds pub in Great Moulton.
He said: "I'm confident that Diss will embrace the concept of Hug and our great range of comforting food. Although environmentally friendly and seasonal food is now very topical, in many ways what we are offering is very traditional with a modern twist.
"We've taken great care in looking at how we can reduce the impact on the environment so there is no single use plastic, we're reducing packaging to a minimum and it's all biodegradable."
You may also want to watch:
Open from 8am to 3pm Monday to Saturday, dishes on offer will include early morning treats like eggs cooked anyway you like on sourdough toast with accompaniments such as bacon, smoked salmon or portobello mushroom and slow-cooked porridge with a choice of toppings, pancakes or a hearty breakfast butty.
Later in the day, the ever-changing menu will switch to fresh soup with homemade bread, hot and cold sandwiches in bloomer bread and a healthy salad bowl.
- 1 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 2 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 3 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 4 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 5 Four weekends of road closures in Diss due to resurfacing work
- 6 Opinion: Shock tactics needed for retirement saving
- 7 Train troubles in Norfolk after lorry hits overhead cables
- 8 Contactless card payment limit increased to £100
- 9 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 10 Norfolk RAF hero who lost both legs wins national awards
Hug is also hoping to put something back with Three Chocolate Elephants - hot chocolate drinks where 50p from every one bought will be donated to a charity involved in saving elephants.