Film review: Allied (15) starring Brad Pitt, Diss Corn Hall On Tour
- Credit: PA
Robert Zemeckis has made a specialism of exploiting film wizardry to startling effect, from the insertion of Roger Rabbit into the real world, to the inclusion of Forrest Gump into history.
Given his leaning towards such technological stunts it's something of a surprise that he's now used this expertise to recreate the old world charm of classic movie making.
Impossibly immaculate and irresistibly charismatic, Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard team up - partly for a mission during the Second World War but mostly to fall in love in this handsomely staged and sumptuously presented romantic espionage thriller.
Set in Casablanca, the film is packed full of Nazis and cocktails and prop planes and sand - all of which quickly recedes into the shadows when faced with the incandescent light of the two stars, as do a whole host of plucky Brits once the action moves to Hampstead.
There's a killer twist that makes you re-examine everything you think you've seen, but it's a pity that the need to tug on our heartstrings prevents an exploration of the film's darker themes.
That said, the star turns of this nostalgic confection still hold your attention right up until its bathetic conclusion.
Allied will be shown as part of the Diss Corn Hall On Tour series at Diss High School on Wednesday, April 26 at 7.30pm. Tickets are £5 or £2.50 for under-18s. Visit www.thecornhall.co.uk
- 1 Eight things we learned from the prime minister's briefing
- 2 JCB skip loader worth £5,500 stolen from Suffolk village
- 3 Approval granted for 69 new homes in Suffolk village
- 4 'Key moment' for town centre as £800,000 improvements agreed
- 5 Haulage company turns recruitment corner after upping wages five times
- 6 Mum's tribute to 'amazing' son amid mental health plea
- 7 Here's what we know so far about the new Covid variant
- 8 Tribute paid to father-of-three who died near his home aged 36
- 9 Elderly people targeted by scammers pretending to be police officers
- 10 Case adjourned for woman charged with causing death by careless driving