Fire breaks out at dried herb farm
PUBLISHED: 14:48 05 June 2019 | UPDATED: 08:35 06 June 2019
Firefighters from Norfolk and Suffolk were called to a farm after the roof of a barn containing dried herbs went up in flames.
Crews were called shortly before 11.30am on Wednesday, June 5, to the blaze at the site of Camstar Herbs Ltd. in Langton Green, near Eye.
Six crews were sent to the scene at Chestnut Farm from Diss, Harleston, Bungay, Eye, Stowmarket and the aerial appliance from Bury St Edmunds.
Kevin Oxford, station commander with Suffolk Fire Service, said workers had been evacuated from the warehouse before crews arrived and no one had been injured in the blaze.
He said: "On arrival crews were met with a developing fire through the wall insulation and into the ceiling of a commercial warehouse and production area. It did involve a level of dried herbs as well.
"The crews managed to get in here fairly early on and restrict it to predominantly the end wall but what we had to then do was to continue to strip away steel cladding to make sure it had not spread beyond the immediate area.
"The site teams had responded promply and evacuated the immediate area and assisted the crews to isolate the power to the area. It is not suspicious who suspect it is an electrical fault."
He added: "The damage is restricted and the machinery has been protected, but that was largely due to the crews getting into affected area fairly promptly."
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Diss Mercury. Click the link in the orange box above for details.