Search

Firefighters called to town centre blaze

PUBLISHED: 14:18 19 January 2010 | UPDATED: 11:24 12 July 2010

A town centre shop in Diss was evacuated this lunchtime as a result of a fire in a light fitting.

Fire crews from Diss and Eye were called just before 1.20pm

A town centre shop in Diss was evacuated this lunchtime as a result of a fire in a light fitting.

Fire crews from Diss and Eye were called just before 1.20pm following reports of a fire in the ceiling of the Thorntons chocolate gift shop in Mere Street.

Firefighters put out the small blaze using dry power extinguishers and left the high street at about 2pm.

Three members of staff and a few customers were in the store at the time of the incident. No one was injured.

The shop is set to remain closed for the rest of the day.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Diss Mercury. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Diss Mercury