Search

Firefighters tackle Diss garage blaze

PUBLISHED: 13:54 21 May 2009 | UPDATED: 11:05 12 July 2010

Firefighters were praised for their quick response today after a domestic garage went up in flames at a property in Diss.

Firefighters were praised for their quick response today after a domestic garage went up in flames at a property in Diss.

The main street through the town was closed for several hours - causing traffic chaos - after fire crews were called to the incident in Victoria Road at about 10.30am.

Two appliances from Diss and one from Eye attended to tackle the fire, which started in the garage and threatened to spread to an adjoining house and bungalow at the rear of the property.

No one was inside the house or bungalow, but the firefighters rescued a dog from one of the affected homes.

Station manager and incident commander Ray Harcourt said the incident was a “serious fire”, but could have been much worse.

“The firefighters did a fantastic job to stop the fire spreading to the main house and bungalow. There is minor damage to both, but their swift response stopped a more serious fire. We are unsure as to how it started and further investigations will be carried out,” he said.

Traffic was disrupted for more than two hours after emergency services were forced to close Victoria Road.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Diss Mercury. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Diss Mercury