Community pub celebrates Norfolk Day with new kitchen opening by MP
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
Norfolk Day is about celebrating the community and one Norfolk pub has been doing just that.
The Fox Inn in Garboldisham had been empty for nine years before two years ago the residents rallied round to purchase the building and bring it back to life.
Now, while celebrating Norfolk Day, volunteers and punters were joined by MP for South West Norfolk Liz Truss for the opening of their new mini-kitchen.
Ian Skipper, 64, one of the pub's executives, said: 'I think it has been a tremendous community effort.
'Every penny we make goes back into the restoration of the pub and the services in our local community. We decided that it was time to open a cafeteria.'
You may also want to watch:
The Fox Inn team were put in contact with Pub is the Hub who were able to help fund the work with a grant from Norfolk County Council.
Mr Skipper added: 'We were able to take an area of the pub that was derelict and turn it into a mini-kitchen with local builders completing the work.
- 1 Sacked police officer admits child porn charges
- 2 The 5 most viewed homes on the market in Norfolk last month
- 3 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 4 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 5 Ex-battery hens in need of free-range retirement homes
- 6 Are we on the verge of a post-Covid mental health crisis?
- 7 Mental health boss cleared of lying during inquest
- 8 Norfolk's police deal with sharp rise in mental health-related callouts
- 9 Want to work on a supercar? Lotus is hiring 200 staff
- 10 7 things every child in Norfolk should do before they are five
'No-body gets paid in the pub so we have local volunteers who can come and run the kitchen. We're starting small but hope to expand.'
The pub is run by a team of directors who volunteer in the pub along side members of the community.
Executive Eddie Theaker, 62, said: 'We are a community pub, funded by the community, Norfolk's hashtag is 'our community' so we thought it was ideal to celebrate.
'We have the kitchen opening and later on we have community stores with people who create things in the area.
'We have been really well supported by local councillors and dignitaries are all here which is really good for them to come and show their support.'
The new mini-kitchen was opened by MP Liz Tuss. She said: 'It is really exciting that the Fox is now opening a mini-kitchen and this is the second community pub we now have in South West Norfolk.
'It's great to have the support from Pub is the Hub - it shows how important and how much value pubs have to people locally.
'A pub is a place where people can meet in, enjoy good food and events. They are really an important part of British life.
'The Norfolk Day balloons are up and I'm pleased that Norfolk Day has been set-up and the support it has received around the county.'