Fraser's second home mystery
Norfolk MP Christopher Fraser is facing questions from grassroots Conservatives over where he lives after it emerged that his main home was a �1.2m farmhouse in Dorset.
Norfolk MP Christopher Fraser is facing questions from grassroots Tories about where he lives after it emerged that his main home was a �1.2m farmhouse in Dorset.
Mr Fraser admitted he had never switched the designation of his West Country property as his main home despite a pledge to his local party in South-West Norfolk upon his selection in 2004 that he would commit himself to the county. Instead, reports in the Daily Telegraph have revealed that he has listed as his "second home" a prop-erty at North Lopham, about 30 miles from his constituency office at Swaffham.
Mr Fraser, who has yet to fulfil a promise to publish details of his expenses, also claimed more than �1,800 to buy 215 trees and fencing to mark the boundary of the home in his constituency. And the MP used the money to buy 140 cherry laurels and 75 red cedars for the property.
He defended the arrangement, adding that he had acted in the spirit of the expenses rules set up to allow MPs to claim to help for the costs of living in Westminster. And he said he had no intention of quitting his post over the revelations.
You may also want to watch:
But there has been unrest locally over where the MP lives, and it is understood the executive committee of South-West Norfolk Conservative Association was already planning to meet to discuss the issue before details emerged in the Telegraph.
- 1 Explore the streets of this historic Norfolk market town in the 1970s
- 2 Pumpkin patch with street food and children's games to open
- 3 CCTV image released after man in his 70s suffers life changing injuries
- 4 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 5 Unique 'time warp' 1970s farmhouse goes on sale for £795,000
- 6 Arrest in Diss after police carry out drug warrants
- 7 Motorcyclist in hospital after crash on A140
- 8 Teen opens American sweet shop in town
- 9 Family's anger at sentencing of driver who killed 'kind and caring' nan
- 10 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed