Fund-raising campaign so eight-year-old Sophie can have vital electric wheelchair
- Credit: Archant
A series of fund-raising events are being organised to help raise £12,000 to buy an electric chair for a young girl from Attleborough who has cerebral palsy.
Eight-year-old Sophie Warnes relies on a wheelchair but at the moment has to use a manual chair that is pushed by other people, meaning she is unable to be as independent as her and her parents would like.
Sophie's mum, Wendy Warnes, said she has been unable to funding for a chair and it is something that her daughter badly needs, she said: 'It's an essential piece of equipment and she needs it for her independence.
'It will allow her to play more with her friends and go where she wants to go. Sophie has quite an independent streak.'
On Sunday an event, organised by friends of the Warnes family, will be kicking off a series of fund-raising challenges to raise the money needed to buy the chair. At 2pm at the Connaught Hall car park, the youngster will attempt two laps of the car park on he tricycle with the local fire service coming along to help her out.
The next fundraiser will be a 50 mile bike ride from Attleborough to Hunstanton via Peddars Way, on Sunday, November 16. And in December the group are planning a pre-loved clothing and accessories sale.
Mrs Warnes added: 'It's wonderful what they're doing for Sophie and we are so pleased people are helping us out. Sophie is looking forward to the Sunday, she loves to ride her tricycle.
- 1 Heaven & Hell: David Whiteley and Amelia Reynolds
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 4 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 5 Campaigners write to government over pylons plan
- 6 As seen on TV: The Norfolk guest house with a spa...in a bank vault!
- 7 Norfolk MP's concern over new line of pylons
- 8 Electric aircraft to take to the skies over Norfolk
- 9 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 10 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
'She will be involved in everything she can with the fund-raising.'
For more information, visit https://www.facebook.com/getsophiemoving
Are you involved in a charity event? Email the Mercury firstname.lastname@example.org