Fund-raising campaign so eight-year-old Sophie can have vital electric wheelchair
- Credit: Archant
A series of fund-raising events are being organised to help raise £12,000 to buy an electric chair for a young girl from Attleborough who has cerebral palsy.
Eight-year-old Sophie Warnes relies on a wheelchair but at the moment has to use a manual chair that is pushed by other people, meaning she is unable to be as independent as her and her parents would like.
Sophie's mum, Wendy Warnes, said she has been unable to funding for a chair and it is something that her daughter badly needs, she said: 'It's an essential piece of equipment and she needs it for her independence.
'It will allow her to play more with her friends and go where she wants to go. Sophie has quite an independent streak.'
On Sunday an event, organised by friends of the Warnes family, will be kicking off a series of fund-raising challenges to raise the money needed to buy the chair. At 2pm at the Connaught Hall car park, the youngster will attempt two laps of the car park on he tricycle with the local fire service coming along to help her out.
You may also want to watch:
The next fundraiser will be a 50 mile bike ride from Attleborough to Hunstanton via Peddars Way, on Sunday, November 16. And in December the group are planning a pre-loved clothing and accessories sale.
Mrs Warnes added: 'It's wonderful what they're doing for Sophie and we are so pleased people are helping us out. Sophie is looking forward to the Sunday, she loves to ride her tricycle.
- 1 'We don't want to close': Farm shop makes plea for support during lockdown
- 2 Norfolk teacher in national campaign for switching careers
- 3 Motoring giant pledges more than 600 brand new laptops to appeal
- 4 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region
- 5 Landowners under pressure to stop repeat of floods
- 6 Concern people are letting their guards down after getting Covid-19 jabs
- 7 Missing 84-year-old man found safe and well
- 8 Child groomer caught by seven paedophile hunter groups
- 9 Firefighters tackle Yaxley workshop blaze
- 10 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
'She will be involved in everything she can with the fund-raising.'
For more information, visit https://www.facebook.com/getsophiemoving
Are you involved in a charity event? Email the Mercury email@example.com