Harleston blaze 'suspicious' say police
An investigation began yesterday into the cause of a major blaze that destroyed a row of first floor flats at a Norfolk market town.More than 50 firefighters attended the incident in Harleston high street after smoke was reported from the rear of the properties in the Thoroughfare.
A major blaze that destroyed a row of terraced flats at a Norfolk market town is being treated as suspicious, police confirmed today .
An investigation was launched after a fire took hold of three first-floor properties in Harleston high street on Tuesday afternoon, which brought the town to a standstill.
Norfolk Police today said that the blaze in the Thoroughfare, which has also closed three ground floor shops, was being treated as suspicious.
It follows an investigation into the cause of the incident by Norfolk Fire and Rescue Service and officers from Thetford CID.
Firefighters from across Norfolk and Suffolk were at the scene for more than eight hours, which closed the one-way street through Harleston. No one was injured.
Officers are keen to speak to anyone who may have witnessed any suspicious activity in the area at the time of the incident at about 3.30pm on Tuesday.
- 1 New Lidl could create 40 'living wage' jobs
- 2 Two crashes in one hour in Pulham Market area
- 3 WATCH: Norfolk MP says PM birthday celebration a 'relatively minor offence'
- 4 Fast-growing audio-visual company snaps up another business
- 5 The battle of Bressingham... the village torn apart by energy scheme
- 6 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 7 Class A and B drug dealer jailed for more than two years
- 8 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 9 Ever fancied being a real life CSI? Now's your chance!
- 10 Six fire crews tackle house blaze near Diss
Contact Det Sgt Dave Sutton at Thetford CID on 0845 456 4567 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.