Harleston Magpies Under-12 girls finish runners-up in National Championship
- Credit: Archant
Harleston Magpies Under-12s girls came agonisingly close to winning the National Championship at Nottingham, losing 1-0 to Sevenoaks in the final.
The team put in a series of superb performances to come through the group stages unbeaten, the stand-out result being a 2-1 victory over multiple former champions Surbiton.
The final was a repeat of the Eastern Region Championship match which Magpies had won on penalty flicks a few weeks earlier. After a goalless first half Sevenoaks created more chances and got what proved to be the winner from a short corner. The initial shot was saved but in the resulting melee the ball was powered over the line.
The Kent team then got everyone behind the ball and held out to win, leaving Magpies as silver medallists after an outstanding showing against the best in the country.
Centre forward Amie Hunt finished as the tournament's highest scorer with eight goals.
You may also want to watch:
Squad (with goals in brackets): Alex Pearson-Smith, Amie Hunt (8), Beth Gardens (2), Daisy Wicks, Emily Clarke (1), Evie Wheeler, Natalie Saunders (1), Jasmine Freeman, Catherine Pope, Harriet Soper. Coaches Nick McAllen and Cathy Gardens, Assist coach Sandra Elliner, team manager Michael Soper.
- 1 Tributes to popular entertainer after death following tragic accident
- 2 Norfolk care home leads fight against loneliness
- 3 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 4 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 5 New landlords relaunch pub with three-course dog menu
- 6 Photos capture impressive storm clouds dominating Norfolk skyline
- 7 Primary and secondary schools join forces under new leadership
- 8 More than 100,000 young people have had Covid jab in Norfolk and Waveney
- 9 999 callers told 'don't ring back to see when your ambulance will arrive'
- 10 47 new homes planned for Suffolk village