Man who lost five stone in just 18-weeks is crowned Mr Sleek 2017
- Credit: Archant
A slimmer who lost over five stone in a matter of weeks has gained a new lease of life - and been crowned Mr Sleek 2017 by his fellow weight loss group members.
Karl Timbers, from Weybred near Harleston, decided to join Slimming World after a warning from his doctor that he had to lose weight in order to avoid serious health implications.
Mr Timbers said: 'My doctor recommended Slimming World, as the healthy eating plan allows you to fill up on a range of 'free' foods without ever going hungry.
'I wasn't sure what to expect. When I arrived I was the only man in the group. However I was immediately welcomed.
'The group members were really supportive from night one and I picked up lots of inspiration for the week ahead.'
Using the support from his fellow slimmers and group consultant Lisa Hartgrove, Mr Timbers went onto lose eight pounds in his first week and was regularly the group's Slimmer of the Week.
The 55-year-old said: 'The support I got from the group has been incredible and has given me the motivation each week to keep going. I have met some amazing people who I am proud to call my friends.'
- 1 Meet the TikTok stylist helping people discover their body shapes
- 2 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 3 7 Norfolk food and drink businesses expanding in 2022
- 4 Six fire crews tackle house blaze near Diss
- 5 Council leader arrested after suspected drink driving on Christmas Day
- 6 Fuel spillage and crash caused delays along A140
- 7 Man who may pose risk to children could be in Norfolk or Suffolk
- 8 Fare dodgers and fraudsters pay £4m to Greater Anglia in 2021
- 9 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 10 How are England's Covid restrictions changing after Plan B?
Within 18 weeks of joining Slimming World Mr Timbers had lost an impressive five stone and 9.5 pounds, achieving his personal target weight and leading him to be voted Mr Sleek 2017 of his group.
But it is not just Mr Timbers' relationship with food which has changed since his weight loss.
He is now able to enjoy exercise and has gone from getting breathless after a walk to enjoying jogging and swimming.
Lisa Hartgrove, group consultant, said: 'It has been a real pleasure to support Karl on his weight loss journey.
'To see the weight fall off him each and every single week has been incredible, but even more incredible is seeing Karl's confidence grow and embrace this new lease of life with a big smile on his face.'
Harleston Slimming World group is open to anyone who has 7lbs or more to lose. It meets every Thursday at 7.30pm at Archbishop Sancroft High School.