Man who lost five stone in just 18-weeks is crowned Mr Sleek 2017
- Credit: Archant
A slimmer who lost over five stone in a matter of weeks has gained a new lease of life - and been crowned Mr Sleek 2017 by his fellow weight loss group members.
Karl Timbers, from Weybred near Harleston, decided to join Slimming World after a warning from his doctor that he had to lose weight in order to avoid serious health implications.
Mr Timbers said: 'My doctor recommended Slimming World, as the healthy eating plan allows you to fill up on a range of 'free' foods without ever going hungry.
'I wasn't sure what to expect. When I arrived I was the only man in the group. However I was immediately welcomed.
'The group members were really supportive from night one and I picked up lots of inspiration for the week ahead.'
You may also want to watch:
Using the support from his fellow slimmers and group consultant Lisa Hartgrove, Mr Timbers went onto lose eight pounds in his first week and was regularly the group's Slimmer of the Week.
The 55-year-old said: 'The support I got from the group has been incredible and has given me the motivation each week to keep going. I have met some amazing people who I am proud to call my friends.'
- 1 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 2 Lorry driver, 75, denies causing A140 motorist's death by careless driving
- 3 Funeral arrangements for Prince Philip confirmed
- 4 Election 2021: Norfolk County Council candidates published
- 5 Man denies arsons which caused £680k damage and killed 50 pigs
- 6 Pubs and shops to open on Monday: what else can I do when restrictions are eased?
- 7 Prince Charles says royal family are 'deeply grateful' for public support following Prince Philip death
- 8 Still time to have your say on town's future as bypass plans go in
- 9 Village post office set to reopen after flooding damage
- 10 Why will secondary pupils still have to wear face masks after Easter?
Within 18 weeks of joining Slimming World Mr Timbers had lost an impressive five stone and 9.5 pounds, achieving his personal target weight and leading him to be voted Mr Sleek 2017 of his group.
But it is not just Mr Timbers' relationship with food which has changed since his weight loss.
He is now able to enjoy exercise and has gone from getting breathless after a walk to enjoying jogging and swimming.
Lisa Hartgrove, group consultant, said: 'It has been a real pleasure to support Karl on his weight loss journey.
'To see the weight fall off him each and every single week has been incredible, but even more incredible is seeing Karl's confidence grow and embrace this new lease of life with a big smile on his face.'
Harleston Slimming World group is open to anyone who has 7lbs or more to lose. It meets every Thursday at 7.30pm at Archbishop Sancroft High School.